GW Elliott (ESIA) vs. UW Jackson (JSIS)

Bingbong

Hello:) 

I was recently accepted to the Elliott school's Asian studies program and Jackson school's international relations program.  

I heard that GW has a good reputation for IR, but there is not much information about UW's JSIS. So I wonder if anyone can tell me about UW's program and compare these two. 

My focus of study is U.S policy toward East Asia and plan to work for the government or intrrnational organizations after graduation.

Thank you very much in advance and any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

GW is stronger in terms of location as there are more IR internships and other work experiences nearby. UW doesn't offer much funding, but I'm unsure if GE offers any either. Personally, I'd look at classes offered, cost, working opportunities, research opportunities, and general fit (e.g. I love cold rainy days, so Seattle is for me!). Make a giant list of this stuff, and I'm sure you'll have a better idea on where to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Seattle and do not believe it is a great city if you want to do IR. There are many opportunities to work in immigration, global health, and global development, but if you want to work in government it is not a sustainable place to launch a government, IR career. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, Amemira said:

GW is stronger in terms of location as there are more IR internships and other work experiences nearby. UW doesn't offer much funding, but I'm unsure if GE offers any either. Personally, I'd look at classes offered, cost, working opportunities, research opportunities, and general fit (e.g. I love cold rainy days, so Seattle is for me!). Make a giant list of this stuff, and I'm sure you'll have a better idea on where to go. 

Sorry for my delayed response to your kind comment, which is assist of me to consider my direction although I am still hegitating to make up my mind : )

Though I prefer to studying in Seattle for its general environment, I'm a bit worried about job opportunities there :( 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, newtodc206 said:

I live in Seattle and do not believe it is a great city if you want to do IR. There are many opportunities to work in immigration, global health, and global development, but if you want to work in government it is not a sustainable place to launch a government, IR career. 

Thank yo for your advice!

I just wonder if you have any idea on how jackson school is perceived in the area as well as in the U.S.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:13 AM, Bingbong said:

Thank yo for your advice!

I just wonder if you have any idea on how jackson school is perceived in the area as well as in the U.S.

In the state of Washington UW is top notch, and on the west coast UW is a really great school. I can’t say how UW is perceived in other parts of the US. 

I would reach out to UW and ask where most of their grads go after completing the program. You should then ask for a contact who’s now in govt or an intl org who can tell you how much weight a UW degree has when trying to enter govt / Intl orgs outside of DC.