Boston University

mish4

I'm going for an MS in Speech Language Pathology and just sent in my enrollment deposit for fall last week! Super excited, but definitely nervous about finding a roommate/place to live since I live in Seattle!

I haven't actually sent in my enrollment deposit yet but I am like 99% going to go there for Speech too! I visited this weekend and it just felt so right. I'm stressing about the roommate housing thing too but have found that those things almost always have a way of working themselves out. Ask around to any family or friends that know of people moving to the area, that is how all of my friends have found great roommates in the places they have moved too. I'm so excited though!!

I'll be attending BU as well, for the PhD in English. Also combing through craigslist looking for housing, but really excited to be going there! :)

Hey, fall-11! I'm headed there for English, too. I wonder if we met during their open house back in March.

These prices on Craigslist are a bit intimidating, but I guess that's too be expected. Do you think you will find a roommate or roommates, or just bite the bullet and get a studio or something for yourself?

Hey BU folks -

I just left a message in the Boston/Cambridge thread about a room available Sept. 1 in my residence in Brookline. Take a look and drop me a message if you're interested in more details. I'm currently the only BU student against 2 BC students, so I need some support. ;)

Hey, fall-11! I'm headed there for English, too. I wonder if we met during their open house back in March.

These prices on Craigslist are a bit intimidating, but I guess that's too be expected. Do you think you will find a roommate or roommates, or just bite the bullet and get a studio or something for yourself?

I'm going there for English too. Fall-11 and I actually met during the open house!

The prices on craigslist are crazy compared to where I've lived in the past; regardless, I'm definitely going for a studio or something by myself. I've applied for the 580 commonwealth apartments, but I wouldn't mind finding a nice place that I could live in for a few years. Moving is hard!

Hi! I'm going to the archaeology PhD program at BU next year! Any other archaeology people around?

Though I'm not an archaeology student, we are in the same department! I'm going to attend the cultural anthropology program this fall. lol

Just checking in. Art History for Fall 2011. [: Will now jump on the apt search bandwagon. I'm so thrilled that I can't even use an exclamation mark.

Also Art History for Fall 2011, also jumping on the apartment search bandwagon :-)

For those of us who weren't as familiar with BU until applying, what do you think of the institution as a whole? Or at least, what about your department in the context of the whole school? I've been reading up a little bit (online) about the history of the school, controversies and academic culture, notable people and events, etc. I went to a small liberal arts college for undergrad, so I'm wondering if the whole research U atmosphere will be a bit of a shock—not to mention the rest of the Boston experience.

Any one else doing similar research? Any thoughts, either excitement or reservation? Anyone pondering what the adjustment will mean for them?

Edited by ryanweb

I'm going to BU for film studies in the fall. It's a tiny department max 12 students but I'm pretty excited about the city. I went to visit for the open house and found an apartment that is cute and within 30 minutes walking distance of campus just across the street from the green line. all in all very excited!

• 2 months later...

For those of us who weren't as familiar with BU until applying, what do you think of the institution as a whole?

Coming from a school where the tuition is 1/12 of the cost of Boston University, I already have expectations of fairly financially privileged people. I do hear the school offers generous funding, so I also expect people of all types to be around. I stepped around campus really quick and didn't see any immediate obnoxious people, but I did overhear "bro."

It's definitely better to research a department prior to applying, because application fees will start kicking you in the butt if you decide to play the "increase my chances" game.

Bumping the thread though. I'll be in Boston by the last week of August. I found two rooms in JP (I can bring my dog, cat and new couch, yay) and would love to have a buddy to browse this.. Barnes and Nobles Campus Bookstore place.

Edited by Chulianne