statistics or mathematics of finance

Hi, guys, I am applying master of statistic and mathematics of finance in columbia u. But sadly the graduate school says I can not apply two programs in a semester so I have to choose to drop one of them. Can anybody give me any advise on my chance of each program?

GRE:

Verbal:510

Analy: 800

W:3.0

GPA for statistics: 3.1

GPA for Mathematics of finance:3.4

The GPA for the two program is different because I applied for mathematics of finance early so it doesn't contain my degree of last semester. I did sucks in last semester so I only got overall 3.1 now.

You know u can apply to the mathematics of finance program and check the option to forward your application to the MA statistics program if you get rejected from the mathematical finance program.

Good idea, but the case is that they are both on rolling basis. Therefore, when mathematics of finance reject me, statistics may have few ad left.

Good idea, but the case is that they are both on rolling basis. Therefore, when mathematics of finance reject me, statistics may have few ad left.

That is not how the rolling admissions at the statistics department works, i talked to them and they said there is no such thing as availbale number of seats, they simply take anyone who is qualified to join their program. I was also told specifically that it makes no difference whether you apply now or a day before the deadline its all the same to them. I dont know how the Masters in mathematical finance works, i am not applying there because i dont have all the pre-requisites such as a course in partial differential equations and i dont have any exposure to real analysis. Also my transcript from this semester will probably reach them after the deadline, MAy 31 fro MAFN, so i will be applying just to the statistics program.

Edited by kash

• 3 weeks later...

That is not how the rolling admissions at the statistics department works, i talked to them and they said there is no such thing as availbale number of seats, they simply take anyone who is qualified to join their program. I was also told specifically that it makes no difference whether you apply now or a day before the deadline its all the same to them. I dont know how the Masters in mathematical finance works, i am not applying there because i dont have all the pre-requisites such as a course in partial differential equations and i dont have any exposure to real analysis. Also my transcript from this semester will probably reach them after the deadline, MAy 31 fro MAFN, so i will be applying just to the statistics program.

That really helps,thanks a lotrolleyes.gif