UNC Gillings vs Michigan MPH - HELP

I have the opportunity to join either program but having difficulty choosing so I am outsourcing the decision. Any and all input is appreciated! 

• Program of Interest: Looking to focus in either Health Management & Policy or Health Behavior and Health Education track 
  • Instruction: Is one known for being more academic/research based vs. practice/application based? 
  • Funding Support: - is one program known for being more generous with funding than the other? Both about the same? Is funding standard? 
  • Culture: are the students more collaborative vs. competitive? Are there distinctive features for either school? 
  • Career Interest: influence health policy and decision-making in public sector at the state or federal level -- I know this is fairly broad but I am still working on refining what I want to do 

Weather is not a factor for me and the cost of living in both areas seems to be about equal as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

My son is about to finish his first year in the Gillings Health Management & Policy program. He will be interning this summer at Emory. He seems to always be working on a project with others in the program. He loves Chapel Hill. Started as undergrad, finished law school, & now in MPH program.  I don't think you can go wrong with either school.

1 hour ago, MPH Dad said:

My son is about to finish his first year in the Gillings Health Management & Policy program. He will be interning this summer at Emory. He seems to always be working on a project with others in the program. He loves Chapel Hill. Started as undergrad, finished law school, & now in MPH program.  I don't think you can go wrong with either school.

Oh wow! What made him decide to pursue the MPH after law school? 

UNC Law actually has a dual degree program with MPH. I tried to talk him into going that route when he was accepted to law school since it would shave a year off the MPH. He didn't take my advice but decided after his 2nd year of law school to apply. After first year law school students get to take classes that they want to focus on as a career. My son actually asked me what I thought and I told him with all the swirl around ACA there would likely be a lot of work revolving around health care law. He started UNC taking premed classes and got about half way thru when he decided premed wasn't for him. Having the law & mph degrees will give him a lot more career options. He is thinking about a career working for a large hospital where he could go the legal/compliance route or the business of running the hospital route. Time will tell.

Edited by MPH Dad