PI's most recent pub and grant on CV is 2013, is this a red flag?

sciencefinn

Question

Edit: the field is cancer biology if that helps. 

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm in the process of seeking PI's to reach out to ahead of my applications for the Fall 2020 cycle. A PI with an area of research I'm interested in has a CV posted on the lab website, and it states that the most recent grant and publication record ended in 2013. Is this a sign of an upcoming retiree, or worse- an inactive lab? Is it appropriate to ask directly?

Thanks!

Edited by sciencefinn
Additional information

3 answers to this question

As a first step, I'd definitely compare with some other places and make sure it's not just that the CV is out of date.

You could also look at Google Scholar or see if they have a profile on the school website, their own website, Academia.edu, or ResearchGate.

11 minutes ago, CozyD said:

As a first step, I'd definitely compare with some other places and make sure it's not just that the CV is out of date.

You could also look at Google Scholar or see if they have a profile on the school website, their own website, Academia.edu, or ResearchGate.

Good thinking- 

I checked, and there's a Jan. 2019 pub, but nothing between 2015-2019. Cross checked PubMed to be sure... This seems unusual. 

Edited by sciencefinn
corrected sentence

Was there any news about them in the few years when nothing's come out (even small things like giving a talk somewhere)? Is there anyone you know in that university, who might know someone in the cancer bio program, who might know about the PI?

You can always directly ask things like "are you taking students next year", but it might not give you all the info you need.