Hey all, I've been thinking of joining some new professional anthropology and archaeology societies. I've been a member of the Society for American Archaeology for a few years but was really troubled to read about what happened this past week at their conference: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/04/15/archaeology-group-faces-backlash-over-how-it-handled-known-harassers-attendance I want to be part of societies that take sexual misconduct, looting, racism, and other issues that have been prevalent in anthropology very seriously.

What societies are you a part of? What journals do you submit your work to? What are some other societies to be cautious of joining?

I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. But--and I hate to say it--but I don't think we will find such a society in anthropology or archaeology--perhaps not anywhere in academia. Have you read The Professor Is In's blogpost on sexual misconduct? She outlines the way university policies are designed to protect harassers and abusers. If not, I would look at and bookmark the google doc she put together, then check it frequently to look for hints as to people/programs to avoid. At my own program, a professor who assaulted his students was allowed to attend an event on Friday night--one that first and second year students were technically required to attend. The New York Times and (I believe) the New York Post have both published extensively on the situation, and yet our school as an institution and our faculty in particular refuse to address his continued presence at our events and in our classrooms. We had no choice but to sit in this room with this  man for two hours. 

Abuse in the academy is rampant.There isn't a single society, school or journal where this sort of garbage doesn't happen.  We (people with morals and spines, allies of survivors, and survivors all) need to keep each other safe and not trust institutions to take care of us. The institutions are products of a patriarchal system and will be fine no matter what happens to us--if you decide not to go to SfAA or associate with the powerful people there, you will be the one to face the consequences. Not SfAA!

Be careful out there!

Edited by oroanthro
typo fix!