Where should I go, UBC or JHU

Well, consider Baltimore vs. Vancouver - one's beautiful (Vancouver) and one has one of the US' highest crime rates (Baltimore). As far as the schools go, I know nothing. May be different university climates as well; I'm not familiar with JHU, but UBC is a bit isolated geographically as a campus and also significantly pedestrian oriented, which I think probably makes it a bit more student-life centric. However, university in Canada is different than in the US, and you might see more people outside of the traditional US "student" demographic in Canada.

As far as the MSc vs. PhD is concerned, in Canada you will usually obtain a Masters prior to working on a PhD anyway so it's not a "lesser" degree like it is sometimes treated at American institutions. At least for some programs, you can smoothly transition from a MSc to the PhD program. Additionally, UBC departments tend to fund masters students competitively. So this shouldn't be a problem for you. As far as the actual programs go, I have no idea how they compare, but if you have any questions about life at UBC, I may be able to answer them.

Edited by metasyntactic

Thanks for your reply. Vancouver is a great city and Baltimore looks less appealing

Well, consider Baltimore vs. Vancouver - one's beautiful (Vancouver) and one has one of the US' highest crime rates (Baltimore). As far as the schools go, I know nothing. May be different university climates as well; I'm not familiar with JHU, but UBC is a bit isolated geographically as a campus and also significantly pedestrian oriented, which I think probably makes it a bit more student-life centric. However, university in Canada is different than in the US, and you might see more people outside of the traditional US "student" demographic in Canada.

Thanks for your reply. I am not thinking less of a master's degree, on the contrary, I think a Master program is more flexible since after two years of study I can make a different choice if I want. Yet if I will continue mathematical study, why not, unless a significant difference will occur (e.g. get into a top math program in US), choose JHU's PhD program in the first place?

As far as the MSc vs. PhD is concerned, in Canada you will usually obtain a Masters prior to working on a PhD anyway so it's not a "lesser" degree like it is sometimes treated at American institutions. At least for some programs, you can smoothly transition from a MSc to the PhD program. Additionally, UBC departments tend to fund masters students competitively. So this shouldn't be a problem for you. As far as the actual programs go, I have no idea how they compare, but if you have any questions about life at UBC, I may be able to answer them.

I think the main factors (other than the schools themselves) are time, money, and what your goals are.

If you think you will want to do a PhD anyway, then I see no reason not to do that right now. On the other hand, like you said, you can get a masters out of the way in 2 years and if you decide you don't want to do a PhD, you will not have spent 5 years in school. But another important point is funding - I don't know what your situation is, but usually masters programs do not offer financial support, but PhD programs do. Personally I would take the option that's free.

As for the location... the other factors I think are far more important than location. Vancouver is beautiful but Baltimore is also nice because it is close to American cities like D.C. and New York, and it's in a pretty part of the country. The Homewood campus is not in a bad part of the city. Unless you really have a strong preference, I wouldn't worry about this.

Finally, perhaps the most important factor is the quality of the programs for your field and the match of the programs with your own research interests - and this I can't help you with.

I would go straight for a PhD over a masters if you are satisfied with JHU's program. Baltimore isn't as really as bad as you might think from The Wire or something, especially as the university is in a good area.

How do your research interests align with those of the departments? JHU has a very small math program, so its important that you can find something which interests you there. I don't know anything about UBC.

Yet if I will continue mathematical study, why not, unless a significant difference will occur (e.g. get into a top math program in US), choose JHU's PhD program in the first place? 

If JHU's program has a good research fit, then I think there's no reason not to take it. One thing about the Math PhD at UBC is that if you have completed an MSc there, there is no additional coursework requirement. This means that the total time it takes to get the MSc and then PhD is not necessarily much longer than going to an American PhD program (although it could be, I'm sure). In other words, if UBC's program appeals to you, the program structure shouldn't give you a disadvantage in research. I would say it is really up to program preferences in the end and your own interests. For example, I think UBC has particular strength in number theory and probability. 

Edited by metasyntactic

Thanks for your reply. I get funding from both schools, that's why I have to make a difficult choice :)

I think the main factors (other than the schools themselves) are time, money, and what your goals are.

If you think you will want to do a PhD anyway, then I see no reason not to do that right now. On the other hand, like you said, you can get a masters out of the way in 2 years and if you decide you don't want to do a PhD, you will not have spent 5 years in school. But another important point is funding - I don't know what your situation is, but usually masters programs do not offer financial support, but PhD programs do. Personally I would take the option that's free.

As for the location... the other factors I think are far more important than location. Vancouver is beautiful but Baltimore is also nice because it is close to American cities like D.C. and New York, and it's in a pretty part of the country. The Homewood campus is not in a bad part of the city. Unless you really have a strong preference, I wouldn't worry about this.

Finally, perhaps the most important factor is the quality of the programs for your field and the match of the programs with your own research interests - and this I can't help you with.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the size of JHU's math department is one concerning factor.

I would go straight for a PhD over a masters if you are satisfied with JHU's program. Baltimore isn't as really as bad as you might think from The Wire or something, especially as the university is in a good area.

How do your research interests align with those of the departments? JHU has a very small math program, so its important that you can find something which interests you there. I don't know anything about UBC.

Thanks for your reply. Number theory is perhaps where I am going.

If JHU's program has a good research fit, then I think there's no reason not to take it. One thing about the Math PhD at UBC is that if you have completed an MSc there, there is no additional coursework requirement. This means that the total time it takes to get the MSc and then PhD is not necessarily much longer than going to an American PhD program (although it could be, I'm sure). In other words, if UBC's program appeals to you, the program structure shouldn't give you a disadvantage in research. I would say it is really up to program preferences in the end and your own interests. For example, I think UBC has particular strength in number theory and probability.

I went to Hopkins undergrad and these posts make me laugh. You watch too much TV! Baltimore is a lovely, charming, and quirky city with great museums, interesting neighborhoods, a beautiful harbor, and, as noted, proximity to other great cities of the Eastern Seaboard. Please don't make your decision based on crime shows.