Duke MIDS 2019

Hello everyone! I'm making this topic so all of us who were admitted to the program can get to know each other. I suppose that most of us have made a decision by now.

I'm an industrial engineer from Mexico City, and my background is mostly in software development in the financial sector. I'm really excited about the program and can't wait for classes to begin! I really like the interdisciplinary aspect of the program, and the flexibility of picking elective courses from other departments!

So what made you accept the offer? What are your interests and background? Are you excited or concerned about this being such a new program?

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Hello! 

I was admitted to Duke's MIDS as well. I accepted my offer last week. 

My background:

Economist from Universidad del Rosario (Bogotá, Colombia), I have ~4 years of experience covering different roles in the data science spectrum. Also I am a Fulbright Grantee.

I choose Duke because the were very welcoming and warm since day one. I found fascinating the way the picked their candidates (video essay, 10 interesting  things essay, etc). The latter says a lot of how carefuly they build the cohort! Also, it's very nice thay we are only 35 (other programs have incoming cohort sizes ranging from 100 to 150 students). 

Besides from that, I love Duke's campus and the academic reputation the university has on ALL areas. Specially, I found as a strong point that Duke's Statistics department is among the bests in the world. 

Edited by telkanuru
user request

Hello both!

My name is Guillem, was admitted to the MIDS early March and accepted the offer a couple of weeks ago.

I am currently living and working in London, although I am from Barcelona ( it seems we are going to be a few Spanish speakers in the program ;) ). I studied Business Administration at ESADE and I have worked for 2.5 years in the Management Consulting industry in both Strategy & Operations across Europe and the Middle East.

I second what you guys said about process and faculty. Things I liked about Duke: Program Structure, Core Courses, Electives, Campus, Faculty, Reputation

Should we create a Whatsapp group for people in this forum to keep in touch?

2 hours ago, QuData said:

Hello both!

My name is Guillem, was admitted to the MIDS early March and accepted the offer a couple of weeks ago.

I am currently living and working in London, although I am from Barcelona ( it seems we are going to be a few Spanish speakers in the program ;) ). I studied Business Administration at ESADE and I have worked for 2.5 years in the Management Consulting industry in both Strategy & Operations across Europe and the Middle East.

I second what you guys said about process and faculty. Things I liked about Duke: Program Structure, Core Courses, Electives, Campus, Faculty, Reputation

Should we create a Whatsapp group for people in this forum to keep in touch?

Already did Guillem! Feel free to join: https://chat.whatsapp.com/LXUkeaeRXwOC4Z34dhSbPv