Prestige vs. $

I was happily admitted to a few programs (LSE, SIPA, Brown Taubman, Duke Sanford and Cornell CIPA) and am now choosing between Duke and Cornell (had to strike LSE and SIPA off my list due to lack of funding). Cornell offered a lot more money, but I was very impressed by everything I heard and saw down at Duke's open house. My main dilemma now is between a more well-known, respected and certainly well-established school (Duke) and a new, interesting program that is offering more financial assistance (CIPA).

Does anyone have thoughts on how these two programs compare, and is anyone else in a similar conundrum? I am leaning towards Duke, partly because their career services seem so good, but don't want to throw away money for prestige...

Thanks!

Edited by ellenrww

Depends what you want to do after. A professor of mine was saying that Duke grads are unlikely to get pigeonholed into pushing papers, and tend to have their choice of what kind of job/arena they want to work in.

Of course it also depends on city preferences, etc...

Depends what you want to do after. A professor of mine was saying that Duke grads are unlikely to get pigeonholed into pushing papers, and tend to have their choice of what kind of job/arena they want to work in.

Of course it also depends on city preferences, etc...

One of my undergrad professors told me to never take money out for a Masters. Well, I'm breaking that rule by a little bit, but there is something to it. I was also accepted by CIPA, and I've had really great experiences talking with students and staff. Their alumni end up in a lot of different places, like the UN, non-profits, and the federal government.

Just remember, in the end, you can't lose.

I think this is an essentially false dichotomy. Public policy rankings are not taken very seriously by most employers, and besides, the Cornell name will generally carry as far (if not further) than Duke's. If finances were equal, I might give a slight advantage to Duke (since their policy program is better established), but in this instance I'd go for the money. The less debt the better!

How much money are we talking here? I think if you give us an idea of the disparity, we'll be able to weigh in with more precise advice. I think it's pretty reasonable to, within reason, take out a significant amount to attend a program that is right for you. This is a major decision that is going to affect the rest of your entire career- I would certainly not choose a program just because they offered me more money. Obviously it's a consideration, but only you know what's right for you.

And, with very few exceptions, you are going to have to take money out for a masters. That's just how it is.

How much money are we talking here? I think if you give us an idea of the disparity, we'll be able to weigh in with more precise advice. I think it's pretty reasonable to, within reason, take out a significant amount to attend a program that is right for you. This is a major decision that is going to affect the rest of your entire career- I would certainly not choose a program just because they offered me more money. Obviously it's a consideration, but only you know what's right for you.

And, with very few exceptions, you are going to have to take money out for a masters. That's just how it is.

The difference in funding is $18,000/year, which is significant. I am going to visit Cornell soon to try and get a sense of the program- honestly, I've already reconciled myself to some post-graduate debt, and I can swallow the $36,000 if it means that I attend a better program that has more to offer. The prestige is becoming less and less of an issue, and I'm now more concerned with whether or not a newer program like CIPA has the structure, courses, professors and post-graduate resources to give me the best advantage.

The difference in funding is $18,000/year, which is significant. I am going to visit Cornell soon to try and get a sense of the program- honestly, I've already reconciled myself to some post-graduate debt, and I can swallow the $36,000 if it means that I attend a better program that has more to offer. The prestige is becoming less and less of an issue, and I'm now more concerned with whether or not a newer program like CIPA has the structure, courses, professors and post-graduate resources to give me the best advantage.

Cornell's MPA is likely less structured, but I'm sure that you can construct a great program. University-wide, Cornell's academic resources are at least a match for Duke's, and $18,000 per year is a very big difference. I won't say this is a no-brainer, but I think it is approaching that territory.

Cornell's MPA is likely less structured, but I'm sure that you can construct a great program. University-wide, Cornell's academic resources are at least a match for Duke's, and $18,000 per year is a very big difference. I won't say this is a no-brainer, but I think it is approaching that territory.

Yeah, a $36K difference is nothing to scoff at. Also keep in mind that it is nice to feel "wanted" by a program. Regardless of overall reputation, each school has only so many resources. If you're at the top of their pile, it's likely that you're going to be able to command a higher share of the resources that the school has to offer. Theoretically, once enrolled, everyone is the same, but the go-getters are likely to get more out of their experience. Knowing they really want you there is going to count for a lot.

On the other hand- you say that $36K is the difference- what is the total debt you're likely to face at Duke? Because something on the order of $36K in debt is really really manageable for an MPA graduate from a good school, even if you do go into non-profit or government service.

• 3 years later...

I'm making this exact same decision now - Duke or CIPA, with $$$ from CIPA, but only some from Duke - so if anyone has any specific insights beyond what's above, please chime in!

I think it depends on what you want to do. I continue to be impressed with CIPA, though. The opportunities are virtually limitless and the resources are there. To give you an idea, here is a list of the classes I took first semester:

Emerging Markets (Professor Ralph Christy)

Food Policy for Developing Countries (Professor Per Pinstrup Andersen)

International Public and NGO Management (Professor John Mathiason)

Issues in African Development (Professor Muna Ndulo)

Labor Economics (Professor Gary Fields)

Leaders in Sustainable Global Enterprise (Professor Mark Milstein)

Take a minute to look up these courses and professors. Not bad for a first semester and it's only going to get better.

During the winter break I took part in a Student Multidisciplinary Applied Research Team run by the renowned Cornell International Institute for Food and Development (http://ciifad.cornell.edu/engagement.cfm). It was almost fully funded and sent me to Africa (others went to the Philippines, Bangladesh, Thailand to name a few) for two weeks to conduct a consultancy with an SME connecting rural farmers to the market. Hopefully the case study will get published and the findings will be presented during an international symposium at Cornell. I'll have opportunities like this again next winter.

Currently in my second semester, I'm taking advantage of one of the off-campus opportunities. You can go to Mexico City, Nepal, Budapest, DC or Rome (and maybe other locations. I'm not sure). I ended up in DC with the World Bank. I'm working full-time and taking three classes. Needless to say I'm busy and definitely shouldn't be spending time here! Just wanted to give you an idea of the possibilities at CIPA. It has to be one of the best values out of any MPA program.