low cgpa (MA Econ advice please)

ainez

Hi, I want to work in Econ Dev at world bank, UN, ADB and similar organizations. I'm not sure which programs to apply to that will give me the best chances to get to those jobs! Aiming at schools like GWU, IHEID, etc.

Graduated: May 2019, want to apply for 2020 or 2021. 

Type of Undergrad: BSc. in Financial Mathematics from Canadian unranked university 

Undergrad GPA: CGPA (3.15), GPA last twenty credits (3.67), Math GPA (3.8)
Low grades in my early years due to bad health issues.

Undergrad Econ Courses: Intro Micro (A), Intro Macro (B+), EnvEcon (A), Money and Banking (B+), going to take Intermediate Macro (in september) and Micro (
January)

Math Courses: Calc I,II,III (D-, D+, A-), Prob&Stats I,II(A-, A), Ordinary Differential Equations (A-), Partial Differential Equations (A+), Linear Algebra (A-), Applied Linear Algebra (A+), Numerical Analysis (A+), Stochastic Processes (A+), Fin Maths I,II(B+,A+)

LORs: Two professors in whose classes I got A+'s. One was my thesis supervisor

Programming: R, Python, SAS, MATLAB

Research Experience: Undergrad Thesis in Financial Mathematics (A+)

Work experience: Data Analyst Intern at the gov , and analytics/data science role at a top bank in canada (July '19 - July '20)

Questions:
1. Where can I get into a decent masters in Europe, Canada, US??
2. Can I do anything to strengthen my application?

Cgpa isn't that terrible especially if it has a good explanation. Can you retake calc I and maybe II ? I don't think it'd be a deal breaker. I got in to most programs I applied to (including my #1 choice at a high ranked school in Canada) after doing poorly in calc II. Make sure you do well in intermediate micro and macro. I recommend reading ahead to ensure you do well. (In my case I got near perfect marks on all econ courses to make up for doing poorly in calc II). 

Try Neilsons free textbook for grad school economics, especially the chapter with lagrangians and you'll laugh through the intermediate classes. It's incredibly easy to read even if you've never seen he material 

https://web.utk.edu/~wneilson/

As for getting into specific schools for the world bank, un etc. Most grad schools post previous placements but those jobs are very competitive so getting into the right school is no guarantee to work there.

11 hours ago, CanadianHopeful said:

Cgpa isn't that terrible especially if it has a good explanation. Can you retake calc I and maybe II ? I don't think it'd be a deal breaker. I got in to most programs I applied to (including my #1 choice at a high ranked school in Canada) after doing poorly in calc II. Make sure you do well in intermediate micro and macro. I recommend reading ahead to ensure you do well. (In my case I got near perfect marks on all econ courses to make up for doing poorly in calc II). 

Try Neilsons free textbook for grad school economics, especially the chapter with lagrangians and you'll laugh through the intermediate classes. It's incredibly easy to read even if you've never seen he material 

https://web.utk.edu/~wneilson/

As for getting into specific schools for the world bank, un etc. Most grad schools post previous placements but those jobs are very competitive so getting into the right school is no guarantee to work there.

If I dont get into my top choices for the 2020 round, I will definitely retake calc I. As for Nelson's book, I will get on that asap! Thank you :)