While I'm waiting...stipend question for any of you experts!

modernity

I was just reviewing my financial aid award, and I noticed my stipend was not included on the version from the financial aid office - but was included from the department award. Is this because the stipend is considered outside the cost of attendance and therefore not included in that the same way scholarships/tuition waiver hours are? hopefully this question makes sense, if I need to clarify I'll do my best! I'm just trying to figure out if I'll be getting extra money the quarters I TA or if I'm going to get my other financial aid reduced during those quarters to accommodate for it. Thanks for any help on this.

At my Master's program, I was MY responsibility to report any financial aid that I received from the department to the finanical aid office. My grad coordinator made it very clear that I needed to report it ASAP or I could end up getting screwed in the end. (If they found out I got too much aid, I would owe any money above my cost of attendance immediately). So I would talk to the financial aid office and/or your grad coordinator to see what you need to do. My program allowed me to report it online via the student services website.

Hope this helps.

Every school is different in how they handle this. Some schools require you to report it so that any benefits (including tuition waivers) can be considered and some don't. You should be able to call or email the Financial Aid office and ask.

I think you guys are right about me needing to discuss this with my potential advisor/fin aid office. The fin aid office has the scholarship and all the tuition waiver hours factored in, just not the stipend. Which is where my confusion lies - I wasn't sure if there was a standard for this school wide or if it was school by school. Thanks for your input. I know its best to wait and get official word, but its always nice to hear from you guys as well.