Deciding to pursue another program

I am currently working on a PhD in psychology and I am about 4 classes in.  I have always wanted to do neuroscience and, while in my current program, I applied to a neuroscience program and I got in. I was actually surprised.  Neuroscience was why I majored in psychology to begin with.  The neuroscience program is a Master's program.  Everyone in my family is supportive of me getting the PhD but at the same time I feel pulled to the neuroscience program.  It would be a second Master's degree for me.  At this moment I can only afford to go to one program.  I do not know which way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what are you trying to do long-term? An MS in neuroscience is largely unhelpful especially given that you already have an MS in psych which is a neighboring field. If you have to pay for the MS in neuro, I'd say don't bother. Even if you didn't have to pay, I'd probably also say don't bother. Really the only thing you should be going into now is either working in industry or a PhD program; to that end, I'd advise you just to try to enter a neuroscience lab through your psych PhD.

Edited by HawaiiLee808