American Religious History

DSheldon22

Hi Everyone! 

I am currently in an MTS/ThM program with a concentration in church history, and as I continue, I have been drawn to broader American religious history looking at the intersection of politics and culture. I have found post-1865/20th Century American religious history most intriguing. In looking at the next step, I am confident a Ph.D. is where that next step will be. I have looked into both religious studies and history departments, as from my research this intersection has a foot in both camps. The list right now is Norte Dame, Baylor, Virginia, UChicago, Emory, Yale. All have different pros and cons. Norte Dame seems top-notch not only because of the caliber, overall fit, program, and location for my family. While Baylor's program with Thomas Kidd & Barry G. Hankins seems like the closest to my interest, but I am personally worried about Baylor's marketability in jobs after the Ph.D. I would be looking to apply for Fall 2021, as I will be graduating Spring/Summer 2020.

Thus, I wanted to reach out to this form to see if there any programs/advisors you all would recommend looking into and any other advice that you would feel like sharing.

If you would like clarification on anything feel free to ask or PM me :)

Thanks! 

On 7/4/2019 at 5:07 PM, DSheldon22 said:

Hi Everyone! 

I am currently in an MTS/ThM program with a concentration in church history, and as I continue, I have been drawn to broader American religious history looking at the intersection of politics and culture. I have found post-1865/20th Century American religious history most intriguing. In looking at the next step, I am confident a Ph.D. is where that next step will be. I have looked into both religious studies and history departments, as from my research this intersection has a foot in both camps. The list right now is Norte Dame, Baylor, Virginia, UChicago, Emory, Yale. All have different pros and cons. Norte Dame seems top-notch not only because of the caliber, overall fit, program, and location for my family. While Baylor's program with Thomas Kidd & Barry G. Hankins seems like the closest to my interest, but I am personally worried about Baylor's marketability in jobs after the Ph.D. I would be looking to apply for Fall 2021, as I will be graduating Spring/Summer 2020.

Thus, I wanted to reach out to this form to see if there any programs/advisors you all would recommend looking into aTCnd any other advice that you would feel like sharing.

If you would like clarification on anything feel free to ask or PM me :)

Thanks! 

Either go to a top-tier program or don't go at all is my advice.

UVA, Baylor, Emory, and to a lesser extent, Notre Dame, do not place people exceptionally well. Yale and Chicago, of course, have very good placement and more resources than you can shake a stick at.

5 hours ago, DSheldon22 said:

Thanks @psstein, any other schools you would recommend to look at?

I honestly don't know the field of US religious history particularly well. My own knowledge of religious history is predominantly early modern Europe and that of Judeo-Christian origins. From what little I do know, I believe Berkeley, Harvard, and Duke all have robust programs. It's probably to your advantage, given your background and interests, to go to an institution with ties to a divinity school. It also may help you to expand your search slightly to intellectual history, depending upon the methodological approach you want to take.

A useful way of finding programs is as follows: take the books that have most interested you in this field. Look at where the authors either teach or received their PhDs. Constructing this sort of intellectual network will give you better answers than anyone else can. 

FWIW, I would discourage you from applying to Wisconsin. US religious history, which was very prominent 20 years ago at Wisconsin, is now barren.

On 7/7/2019 at 2:07 AM, psstein said:

I honestly don't know the field of US religious history particularly well. My own knowledge of religious history is predominantly early modern Europe and that of Judeo-Christian origins. From what little I do know, I believe Berkeley, Harvard, and Duke all have robust programs. It's probably to your advantage, given your background and interests, to go to an institution with ties to a divinity school. It also may help you to expand your search slightly to intellectual history, depending upon the methodological approach you want to take.

A useful way of finding programs is as follows: take the books that have most interested you in this field. Look at where the authors either teach or received their PhDs. Constructing this sort of intellectual network will give you better answers than anyone else can. 

FWIW, I would discourage you from applying to Wisconsin. US religious history, which was very prominent 20 years ago at Wisconsin, is now barren.

thank you for the advice?