Applying to MPH programs, need advice..

hrw96

I am preparing to apply to MPH and/or MHA programs for this upcoming Fall 2019 cohort. I have made my list of top schools, but after taking a step back I am worried my list is setting unrealistic expectations for myself. I am not sure how strong of an applicant I am on paper, and I don't want to set myself up for failure. I would really appreciate any advice about the likelihood of getting into my top choices (list below), so I can know if I should reevaluate my list. 

I graduated with my BS in May of 2018 from a state university in the southeast with a 3.72 GPA. During my time in undergrad I had an internship with a nonprofit public health organization, I was a research assistant in the PH graduate school Health Promotion and Behavior lab, I also worked multiple jobs on and off campus, and held numerous leadership positions in organizations. After graduation I completed a one-year practice administration fellowship in a hospital in the capitol city of the state. After my fellowship I was promoted to a supervisor in a physician practice.  I have not taken my GRE yet, but I plan to take a prep class to hopefully get a decent score. I will have 2 years of work experience post undergrad in health care management experience. 

Here is my current list of schools I am considering (please let me know if you recommend any others)

• Boston University School of Public Health
  • Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
  • Emory University Rollins School of Public Health
  • George Washington University Milken Institue School of Public Health 
  • Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
  • Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
  • University of Michigan- Ann Arbor
  • University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health
  • Yale School of Public Health

Edited by hrw96

• 2 weeks later...

My son just finished his first year of MPH at Gillings. He did his undergrad at UNC and his gpa was a little lower than yours. He went from undergrad to UNC law school and after his second year of law school he decided to apply to Gillings MPH Health Care Administration/Management. At the time he was allowed to use his LSAT score. During undergrad and law school he volunteered at UNC Hospital and did some pro bono work there as well. Hope this helps.

Most if not all of these school applications are closed for Fall 2019. I would work hard to prepare for the GRE and score well I believe you do have a chance at these school for the Fall 2020 cycle. However I don't believe you will be able to get any application in time to start Fall 2019.