Rice University

Yang

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I just got accepted to History Ph.D. program and I'm ecstatic. I'm 90% sure I'll be attending; I'm just waiting to hear back from the other schools to which I've applied. I'm actually a native Houstonian so if you have questions about Houston and want to talk, let me know! :)

Congratulations!

Hi Pleiades!

I was recently accepted into theie Linguistics PhD program, and I'm also pretty sure I'm going to go. I've never been to Houston before, and I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the neighborhoods nearby. I currently life in Little Five Points in Atlanta, which is known as being sort of a hippy/hipster place- it has lots of vintage clothing stores, cheap and good food, an organic grocery store, the only independent theater in Atlanta, etc. Is there any neighborhood like that in Houston?

Thanks!

Hi Pleiades!

I was recently accepted into Rice's Linguistics PhD program, and I'm also pretty sure I'm going to go. I've never been to Houston before, and I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the neighborhoods around Rice. I currently life in Little Five Points in Atlanta, which is known as being sort of a hippy/hipster place- it has lots of vintage clothing stores, cheap and good food, an organic grocery store, the only independent theater in Atlanta, etc. Is there any neighborhood like that in Houston?

Thanks!

Hi owltlaw (I love the name, btw)! Congratulations on being accepted to their linguistics program. The area around Rice is probably the perfect place for you to move to in Houston because you can hang out at Rice Village! It seems similar to Little Five Points in that there are lots of eclectic shops (both big retail and independently-owned) and delicious restaurants with all types of food; you can just stroll through and always find things to do. Another close area is Montrose, which is known for its LGBT community but also a lot of awesome art and restaurants. Rice is in the middle of the Medical Center and Museum district, and you're within walking distance of the wonderful Hermann Park, which is always beautiful and has the Miller Outdoor Theater so you can (often) enjoy free live music and other entertainment. The art scene in Houston is fantastic; we've got big museums as well as various art galleries spread throughout the city (with many close to Rice). You'll find hippies AND yuppies in these areas, because the residential area near Rice (called "West University") has become increasingly expensive to live in due to gentrification.

Hi owltlaw (I love the name, btw)! Congratulations on being accepted to their linguistics program. The area around Rice is probably the perfect place for you to move to in Houston because you can hang out at Rice Village! It seems similar to Little Five Points in that there are lots of eclectic shops (both big retail and independently-owned) and delicious restaurants with all types of food; you can just stroll through and always find things to do. Another close area is Montrose, which is known for its LGBT community but also a lot of awesome art and restaurants. Rice is in the middle of the Medical Center and Museum district, and you're within walking distance of the wonderful Hermann Park, which is always beautiful and has the Miller Outdoor Theater so you can (often) enjoy free live music and other entertainment. The art scene in Houston is fantastic; we've got big museums as well as various art galleries spread throughout the city (with many close to Rice). You'll find hippies AND yuppies in these areas, because the residential area near Rice (called "West University") has become increasingly expensive to live in due to gentrification.

Thanks! This is really helpful. It seems like there is more directly around Rice than Emory (where I'm currently at), which is good. One thing I'm currently worried about is that I don't have a car...or a license. I can probably get one eventually, but not before I'd be moving out there. A lot of people told me when I came to Atlanta that I'd definitely need a car, but I've more or less done okay with Marta and walking. If I'm living close to Rice and a MetroRail station, do you think it's possible to get by? Have you ridden the MetroRail or the buses in Houston?

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! This is really helpful. It seems like there is more directly around Rice than Emory (where I'm currently at), which is good. One thing I'm currently worried about is that I don't have a car...or a license. I can probably get one eventually, but not before I'd be moving out there. A lot of people told me when I came to Atlanta that I'd definitely need a car, but I've more or less done okay with Marta and walking. If I'm living close to Rice and a MetroRail station, do you think it's possible to get by? Have you ridden the MetroRail or the buses in Houston?

Thanks again!

Hey there,

I won't be attending Rice this fall, but I am a current Rice undergrad. As far as having a car goes, you can get by without one but it certainly wont be easy. The MetroRail only goes in one straight line across Houston. It's great for getting from campus to downtown, but it's difficult for running errands and such. There is a grocery store on one of the stops, but I'm not sure how much you'd want to cart your groceries back to campus. I'm not super familiar with the bus system, but I guess its okay. Are you planning on living in the grad apartments? The ones in the village are in a great location and you would have access to lots of restaurants, shops, etc. And there's a shuttle to campus throughout the day (you can also walk if you don't mind a 15+ minute walk). So in conclusion, you can deal without a car, but I strongly recommend having one if at all possible. Or find a roommate with one, that's pretty effective too. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm considering Rice for History but for Masters only, and I understand from the grad info book that preference is for PhD candidates. Do they accept any Masters candidates or am I wasting my time applying?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering Rice for History but for Masters only, and I understand from the grad info book that preference is for PhD candidates. Do they accept any Masters candidates or am I wasting my time applying?

I don't believe Rice accepted any Masters-only candidates this year. There were 9 of us who were accepted (and only about 5 will be attending), and they all seemed to be Ph.D. applicants (most already had their master's as well, though I didn't). Because they give full funding to all who get in, I don't know if they would accept and fund master's students.

Good luck with applications!

Edited by Pleiades