American SIS vs. Denver Korbel

Hi, everyone!

So I'm looking for advice. I was accepted into both the U.S. Foreign Policy Program at American SIS and the Security program at University of Denver Korbel. I'm currently trying to pick between the two, and I'm having a really tough time making up my mind! I know that when I graduate, I want to work in the security field, specifically in anything connected to counter-terrorism. American has the GREAT location, and I could (hopefully) intern while I go to school. Denver, however, seems to have the perfect program for what I want to do. Anyway, does anyone have any kind of advice/tips/suggestions/etc.? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi, everyone!

So I'm looking for advice. I was accepted into both the U.S. Foreign Policy Program at American SIS and the Security program at University of Denver Korbel. I'm currently trying to pick between the two, and I'm having a really tough time making up my mind! I know that when I graduate, I want to work in the security field, specifically in anything connected to counter-terrorism. American has the GREAT location, and I could (hopefully) intern while I go to school. Denver, however, seems to have the perfect program for what I want to do. Anyway, does anyone have any kind of advice/tips/suggestions/etc.? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Not sure if I remember this correctly or not, but... I think I remember reading something in Korbel's info about spending either a second year or a semester during your second year in DC. While you wouldn't have the benefit of being in DC for two years, you would still get some exposure to the city and an opportunity to intern while you studied. In addition, you could also intern or work in DC during the summer. Proximity to DC is helpful. That's why I applied to a load of DC schools and ended up passing on DU. In hindsight, I wish I had explored Korbel a bit more. Denver's a great city. DC is... interesting, but if I had to pick the more fun city, Denver would def. win.

Good luck making your decision!

Korbel probably has the better program in terms of course selection, but there are more opportunities to intern while you're in school (I don't just mean going for the summer, I mean part-time during the semester...the more opportunities the better!). I'd say the costs will roughly be the same, as Korbel's high tuition will be offset by DC's high cost of living. Guess it just depends what your likes/dislikes are, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone!

I'm trying to decide between these two programs and am quite torn as well. Have you come to any conclusion?

I'm making the same DC vs Denver decision here:

I'm leaning Denver myself because of the fiancee and dog I'd be bringing along. For y'all the decision is a bit different though because both schools seem to have equally strong Security Studies programs.

I'd say if you're single and willing to throw yourself full force into school, American would seem to be the better option because of its location. However, if you think good weather and a bit more outdoorsy fun is a very necessary balance to all the school work you'll be doing, it would seem Denver would be better.

One thing I like about Denver's Quarter system over Semester systems is that it allows you to take more classes, which is especially neat if you're a nerd who likes class (which, in grad school, it's assumed you likely are).

I'm making the same DC vs Denver decision here:

I'm leaning Denver myself because of the fiancee and dog I'd be bringing along. For y'all the decision is a bit different though because both schools seem to have equally strong Security Studies programs.

I'd say if you're single and willing to throw yourself full force into school, American would seem to be the better option because of its location. However, if you think good weather and a bit more outdoorsy fun is a very necessary balance to all the school work you'll be doing, it would seem Denver would be better.

One thing I like about Denver's Quarter system over Semester systems is that it allows you to take more classes, which is especially neat if you're a nerd who likes class (which, in grad school, it's assumed you likely are).

I'm leaning toward Denver now, but haven't been able to visit. What was your impression of the students, faculty, the general 'feel' of the school? If there is anything you happened to find out there that wasn't shared online or in their literature, that would be great to know.

Its so hard - the internship opportunities at AU sound great, but Denver seems to offer more work-life balance. Quarter system I'm ambivalent about. I think it would be nice to take many different courses, but I don't know if the workload for quarter system courses is like a compressed version of a semester long class.

I'm leaning toward Denver now, but haven't been able to visit. What was your impression of the students, faculty, the general 'feel' of the school? If there is anything you happened to find out there that wasn't shared online or in their literature, that would be great to know.

Its so hard - the internship opportunities at AU sound great, but Denver seems to offer more work-life balance. Quarter system I'm ambivalent about. I think it would be nice to take many different courses, but I don't know if the workload for quarter system courses is like a compressed version of a semester long class.

Hi!

I ended up choosing American. I visited both schools during their prospective grad students events (and they were back to back. Lots of traveling over those four or five days!). I was impressed with both schools and after Discover Korbel, had pretty much settled on Denver. However, after American's day, I knew that program was the place for me. Like you said, the internship opportunities seem fantastic. Also, I was really impressed with American's U.S. Foreign Policy (my program) faculty. I mean REALLY impressed. I met every faculty member that day (except for one who was teaching or at a conference at the time? I don't remember), and they seemed to really care about their students. In fact, one professor told me that the SIS director requires all SIS faculty to have AT LEAST six hours of office hours a week. I liked the idea of knowing I could meet with faculty regularly if I needed to.

As for Denver's faculty, I didn't meet anyone from the security program except the degree director, and she had to leave the event early. I understand that she's busy (she is the director after all) but I wish the Denver security faculty had made an appearance. I would've liked to have met them. The students at Denver seemed great. Really passionate about their fields. I didn't really get a chance to meet many current American students.

Anyway, like I said, I've decided on American for 1) the stellar faculty members I met, and 2) the career opportunities. Also, I've interned in D.C. before and I just really love that city! Good luck with your decision!

Hi!

I ended up choosing American. I visited both schools during their prospective grad students events (and they were back to back. Lots of traveling over those four or five days!). I was impressed with both schools and after Discover Korbel, had pretty much settled on Denver. However, after American's day, I knew that program was the place for me. Like you said, the internship opportunities seem fantastic. Also, I was really impressed with American's U.S. Foreign Policy (my program) faculty. I mean REALLY impressed. I met every faculty member that day (except for one who was teaching or at a conference at the time? I don't remember), and they seemed to really care about their students. In fact, one professor told me that the SIS director requires all SIS faculty to have AT LEAST six hours of office hours a week. I liked the idea of knowing I could meet with faculty regularly if I needed to.

I've decided on American for 1) the stellar faculty members I met, and 2) the career opportunities. Also, I've interned in D.C. before and I just really love that city! Good luck with your decision!

Congratulations on your decision! I was also accepted at both Korbel & SIS, and attended American's open house for USFP, so perhaps we met that day! Like you, I had a wonderful experience there. The campus is small, but absolutely beautiful. And you're right, the professors definitely seemed vested in the students. Very down-to-earth. What I really liked is that they specifically set up time for each program to meet with their corresponding academic advisers, where expectations and requirements for graduating are laid out, one by one. The breadth and depth of related courses are unmatched by many other IR programs. I was also impressed with how small the number of students in USFP would be -- around 50. It's amazing that even though American is the largest IR program in the nation, its specific concentrations still have small student bodies.

Some of the program's greatest strengths, in my opinion, simultaneously served as its greatest weaknesses. While I liked the idea of the school offering only night classes (so students can intern during the day, and consistently throughout their program), I also felt that the role of being a "student" was secondary. I understand the importance of interning, but one of my biggest concerns with American's program was finding a balance between having to be a student and an intern, and finding work that would pay me. That coupled with DC's high cost of living -- I was very weary of being able to make ends meet.

In the end, I actually chose the Bush School at Texas A&M. After lining up curriculum from both schools, I realized the core requirements are nearly identical. And, although less prestigious and without the DC connection, they really do offer a lot to make up for being a school outside DC.

Although a little bit off topic, I really do encourage future applicants to apply to a variety of programs AND to actually visit them. American was my dream school -- I didn't think I had a shot at getting in. And when I did, I thought I was going to go there no matter what. A&M was actually dead last on my list, but after visiting, I realized its program was a great fit for me.

Anyway, best of luck American, and once again, congratulations! :)

Hi!

As for Denver's faculty, I didn't meet anyone from the security program except the degree director, and she had to leave the event early. I understand that she's busy (she is the director after all) but I wish the Denver security faculty had made an appearance. I would've liked to have met them. The students at Denver seemed great. Really passionate about their fields. I didn't really get a chance to meet many current American students.

Anyway, like I said, I've decided on American for 1) the stellar faculty members I met, and 2) the career opportunities. Also, I've interned in D.C. before and I just really love that city! Good luck with your decision!

Welcome to SIS! I'm glad you had such a great experience at Grad Day :) I'm a current (graduating) student - if you have any questions about the school, don't hesitate to ask!

Sorry for the late reply.

The students that they had at the event were down-to-earth and engaging. One thing that struck me as different between Korbel students is that they seemed genuinely happy. I only had a chance to catch one student at SAIS for a little impromptu chat, but he was very stressed. Perhaps it was a bad time in the semester or his life, or maybe he's a weaker student, I don't know, but it was interesting.

For internships, DC will certainly have the better selection. However, Colorado is not without its internship options as well. There's certainly fewer in Colorado, but you have less competition to get them too.

Another thing Korbel does that I really like is organizing networking trips to New York, Boston, and DC. They meet with Korbel alums in those cities as well as large, prospective employers for tours and visits with the HR departments.

Also, Denver offers a Fall semester in DC in conjunction with Syracuse's Maxwell School and Pitt's GSPIA. That offers you a good opportunity for the DC experience, internship and all.

Personally, I'm bitter at American because they lost my Resume and Personal Statement and never let me know about it until I called them in March. So while it's a good school, I probably won't have anything nice to say about them until they apologize for their error.