Stay or re-apply to chemistry program

allen_berger

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here applied to PhD programs of a different discipline after ~1 year in your current program (before proposal defense or quals.)?

Here is my situation: I am in an engineering program at a good PhD program (top ~30-ish) with fundings in the US. I don't enjoy the research projects that much and my relationship with my advisor is not what I expected (ie. it is kinda rough sometimes, but it is okay, not a big deal to me). I tried to switch to new labs hoping to find a project that I loved, but the department could not help to find a new lab. Plus, they restrict me to find labs within the department, but there have been no open opportunities so far. More importantly, when I was doing literature review and attending small conferences/seminars, I found that organic chemistry, specifically polymer chemistry, is what I am really interested and better aligned with my career path. Therefore, I am thinking about re-apply to chemistry programs in the US this fall. So, Is it a good idea to do it? I am worried that the application reviewers can think it is an alarming sign to make an offer for someone like me.

Thank you very much.