grad school or job?

I have an internship with a really cool start-up. Everyone there is very smart and very nice. I'm constantly learning and having fun. My boss there just told me that I can probably stay on permanently with my current duties, but gradually gaining in responsibility and salary. (they have employees who started as interns and are now full engineers so I know this can happen).

I was also just admitted to Berkeley for a masters in mechanical engineering (no funding). I've met with the prof at the lab I'm interested in, and they're research is really exciting to me. It's a great school, and I definitely never expected to be admitted. It seems crazy to not go.

In the short-term it's a choice between starving student with lots of new debt and less-starving tech/intern without new debt. In the long term, I'm not sure which will be better for me.

I'm also considering trying to keep working part-time while I'm in school or deferring for a year to save up money and gain experience. (haven't asked either place about it yet)

Any thoughts?

Working part time and doing a Masters' - that could get very, very challenging, just something to consider. Also, legend has it that after starting a graduate program, students change their interests - so if you are *only* going for your Masters' because of that one prof's research, it is something to consider also. I don't know enough about deferring to give an opinion, but worth checking.

I have an internship with a really cool start-up. Everyone there is very smart and very nice. I'm constantly learning and having fun. My boss there just told me that I can probably stay on permanently with my current duties, but gradually gaining in responsibility and salary. (they have employees who started as interns and are now full engineers so I know this can happen).

I was also just admitted to Berkeley for a masters in mechanical engineering (no funding). I've met with the prof at the lab I'm interested in, and they're research is really exciting to me. It's a great school, and I definitely never expected to be admitted. It seems crazy to not go.

In the short-term it's a choice between starving student with lots of new debt and less-starving tech/intern without new debt. In the long term, I'm not sure which will be better for me.

I'm also considering trying to keep working part-time while I'm in school or deferring for a year to save up money and gain experience. (haven't asked either place about it yet)

Any thoughts?

Even though they have done it in the past, I wouldn't count on it unless you have a firm "yes we will be able to take you on and increase your pay by XX date." I'm biased in this situation, my boyfriend was told pretty much the same thing and a few months later the budget for his position to become full time wasn't approved. This was at an established international corporation, not a start up. If you can't get something firm from your boss don't count on it.

I agree with Phyl Why not use your acceptance into grad school as an entry point to get your employer to commit to a full-time permanent position? As in, Gee boss I really love it here and would love to stay. I have to give Berkeley an answer by xxx date, though. What do you think? It might spur them to make that offer into something real.

I would definitely check out the deferring for a year option, if it doesn't affect your research opportunities much. You have a pretty good reason if you're really gaining skills that would enhance your education and career. Of course, I would do that after talking to your boss and finding out if you can stay for another year. If that doesn't work, I would go to Berkeley if I were you, but that's just me!

I'm constantly learning and having fun.

Most people can't say this about their jobs, and I've heard a lot of things said about graduate school, but I've not often (if ever) heard that it's fun. You are quite fortunate -- if I were you, I would keep the job until it's not fun anymore.