Fulbright Hays DDRA 2019-2020

helgapataki

• 2 weeks later...

Me too! I also was asked to sign a fellowship intent form, but no word since. I actually emailed the program officer and they said we wouldn't hear back until mid or late September. What are people doing for tuition this semester?? I went on reserve for NSF because we were waiting to hear back from the Fulbright...but now we're already two months into the academic year so I'm kinda stuck and can't really go back to NSF... I'm actually already in Madagascar, without a salary and constantly getting angry emails from the tuition office. Anyone else struggling with the fact that DDRA doesn't match up with the academic calendar??

In looking at the Fulbright DDRA cycle from two years ago (based on posts in this forum) it seems that successful applicants were notified the first full week of September. I know that last year's cycle was very late and notifications went out in October. Based on the cycle from two years ago, I was hoping to find out by the end of this week. Like you Bio 19, I'm in a tough spot with tuition for my University...can't apply for the tuition waiver they grant to those that earn outside fellowships until officially hearing back from Fulbright-Hays. Let's hope for news this week!

• 2 weeks later...

Still nothing on this end. Anyone else received news? This award / application might be my all time least favorite  - & very sorry to hear about the funding issues it has caused for others. Can't say I'm surprised. It makes no sense to notify applicants of an award after the academic year has started, and weeks before the grant period begins. 

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, apod205 said:

So do we still expect to hear by today, or not likely...?

My understanding is the RFP document says we will hear no later than Sept. 30th. Of course, given the above information on senate appropriations - maybe this year is an anomaly.

(For the record - yet to hear back as well).

blacktea66, my offer was phrased in a way that struck me as tentative also, but the Fulbright rep at my university told me that it was, indeed, an offer! I think that if you had to fill out an accept form (did you get a budget also?) that you are set to receive the award. Is there a contact person at your university that can help clear things up? Congrats!

I received word through the point person at my university. I'm not sure when Fulbright notified them, but I only had a few hours to turn around a form accepting my status as a "principal candidate." There was also space on there for alternate candidates to accept or decline. I think when you return those forms, you still have to clear some last-minute technical hurtles, including security approval for in-country work, before they offer the grant to you officially through your university. My guess would be that if you haven't heard back, it's possible that decision on your application will depend how many principals and alternates accept? But then again I think the alternate list is pretty long...sorry I can't offer more insight. The whole process is pretty confusing. 

Congrats to everyone who got an award and good luck to those still waiting to hear back! I heard back last week that I'm an alternate and feel completely in limbo--unable to activate or apply for more funding, but also completely in the dark about the timeline and odds. Has anyone else been named an alternate? Or know the general timeline or probability of being upgraded to principal?

• 2 weeks later...