Which programs should I apply to?

masterapplicant030

Question

Hello,

I am currently finishing up my Political Science degree with a minor in Public Administration. I have a good GPA, and am focused on going to law school (my passion). My choices for that come down to the JD programs at Osgoode and U of T. BUT, like all things, nothing is guaranteed, so I also want to apply to a few Master's program in the unfortunate event that I do not get admitted to law school. I am torn over which programs to choose from, but based on my research, it comes down to:

1. MPP Program at U of T

2. MPPA at Ryerson 

3. MPS at Waterloo

I was also looking at certain programs at McMaster University, but nothing stands out in Public Administration/Public Policy. 

What do you guys think of these choices? I live in the Toronto area, so if there are any other program recommendations you can make, it would be great.

1 answer to this question

On 8/13/2019 at 9:09 PM, Sherro said:

Hello,

I am currently finishing up my Political Science degree with a minor in Public Administration. I have a good GPA, and am focused on going to law school (my passion). My choices for that come down to the JD programs at Osgoode and U of T. BUT, like all things, nothing is guaranteed, so I also want to apply to a few Master's program in the unfortunate event that I do not get admitted to law school. I am torn over which programs to choose from, but based on my research, it comes down to:

1. MPP Program at U of T

2. MPPA at Ryerson 

3. MPS at Waterloo

I was also looking at certain programs at McMaster University, but nothing stands out in Public Administration/Public Policy. 

What do you guys think of these choices? I live in the Toronto area, so if there are any other program recommendations you can make, it would be great.

Hi, 

I'm in a similar boat. I graduate next summer (I need to take 2 summer courses unfortunately next year). 

I've heard good things about Ryerson and good things about Carelton (specifically if you want to work for the federal gov). It seems that U of T is quite expensive and not necessarily the best program. I think what I had seen was that they don't have the greatest internship opportunities which for me is a deal-breaker. Hope this is helpful to you at least a little bit.

I actually have a question myself for anyone willing to answer. If I graduate next summer, when should I be applying? Should I wait to apply until next fall (aka I'd start in the winter semester) or should I apply in february to start next fall? 

I'm guessing I would need to wait, but it would be great to not have to take a break. I'm applying to Concordia, Mcgill and probably Ryerson. Hoping to stay in Montreal. Last year was my second to last year and I made Dean's list with a 3.91 AGPA, but due to illness, the years beforehand weren't great leaving me with a 3.2 CGPA. I have the year to bring it up, and I'm positive my last 2 years (L2) will be quite good if I continue working as hard as I have been. If I were to apply in feb for next fall, would they wait until they saw my Winter semester grades before making a decision? 

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm just confused and unfortunately my uni/program advisor isn't great at answering my questions. Wondering how you guys went about it. 

Thanks in advance!