Fall 2020 Statistics PhD Application Evaluation

Undergrad Institution: Penn State

Major: Physics - Math Minor

GPA: 3.75

Student Type: Black Male

GRE General Test: Haven't Taken Yet

Courses: 

Physics:  (Didn't know how relevant these would be but included 400 levels ones for completeness): 

Intro to QM (A), Thermal Physics (A), Adv E&M (A-), Adv Mechanics (B), 

Math:

Linear Algebra (A), Intro to Probability (A), Calc 1 (B),  Calc 2 (B+),  Calc 3 (A-), Partial/Diff Eqn (A), General Relativity (A) ~ Was coded as a math course at my university so I figured I'd include it.

Courses I Plan to Take (Before Graduation) : Real Analysis (I & II), Mathematical Statistics, Advanced Linear Algebra, Might be able to add one or two more based on feedback!

Research Experience: 

• Research in high energy particle physics on a particle collider...mostly working on data analytics with ROOT. 

Programs Applying: PhD in Statistics

Awards/honors: University fellowship, 2 physics departmental scholarships, University-wide merit scholarship, Dean's List all semesters 

Programming Experience: Python, C++, Java, SQL

Teaching Experience:  TA'd for 2 years and served as a tutor for URM students for 1 year. 

Letters of Recommendation:  One from the professor I'm doing research with, One from a professor I had class w/ and TA'd for 2 years with, One from academic advisor 

Applying to where: 

Duke University

North Carolina State

Chapel Hill

*Rutgers

*Ohio State

*Texas A&M

Virginia Tech

University of South Carolina

University of Virginia

*Added based on feedback

Not sure how reasonable these schools are or if I should be aiming for a masters program over a PhD at this point. Any feedback or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Edited by COMonteCristo

What sort of state school do you go to? Berkeley vs Montana makes a difference. Also, it's hard to say without your GRE score and those future math grades if they'll be submitted. Do you expect to get a 165+ GRE Q and do you think you'll get an A in analysis?

So much depends on these 3 questions that I'll refrain from giving too specific advice right now, but I'd say those top 3 schools are going to be your reaches (but perhaps obtainable) and the bottom 3 are probably low matches - there's a big gap where you skipped like 30 spots in rankings that are probably your best fit.

49 minutes ago, bayessays said:

What sort of state school do you go to? Berkeley vs Montana makes a difference. Also, it's hard to say without your GRE score and those future math grades if they'll be submitted. Do you expect to get a 165+ GRE Q and do you think you'll get an A in analysis?

So much depends on these 3 questions that I'll refrain from giving too specific advice right now, but I'd say those top 3 schools are going to be your reaches (but perhaps obtainable) and the bottom 3 are probably low matches - there's a big gap where you skipped like 30 spots in rankings that are probably your best fit.

Sorry should've been more specific about school (PSU). I do expect a 165+ on the GRE Q and I'm relatively confident I can get an A in analysis. Although I'm not sure if they'll be submitted in time because I'll be taking those courses this semester. I skipped a lot mostly due to location but I'll look back at some lists and try to find some more match schools. Thanks for your help!

Assuming that you score well on the Quantitative section of the GRE and get A's in Real Analysis I and Advanced Linear Algebra, I think you have a definite shot at NC State and possibly Duke. Conditional on strong performance there, I think you could even try applying to a school like University of Washington (though this is possibly a reach). Physics is a hard subject, and your GPA is pretty good. 

I'd recommend adding a few more schools like Wisconsin or Minnesota too.

5 minutes ago, Stat PhD Now Postdoc said:

Assuming that you score well on the Quantitative section of the GRE and get A's in Real Analysis I and Advanced Linear Algebra, I think you have a definite shot at NC State and possibly Duke. Conditional on strong performance there, I think you could even try applying to a school like University of Washington (though this is possibly a reach). Physics is a hard subject, and your GPA is pretty good. 

I'd recommend adding a few more schools like Wisconsin or Minnesota too.

Will do thanks a lot for your recommendations and I'll make the GRE and Real Analysis my main goals for this semester! Will classes I'm planning on taking my last semester (after applications are sent in) matter at all?  Thanks!

Definitely agree with above, those schools you added and schools like Minnesota/Wisconsin should be the bulk of your applications, with a couple reaches like Duke.  Penn State also has a great statistics department, so talk to professors there. Those last three schools I would say are in the safety range (though nothing is guaranteed), so I don't think you need to apply to many schools at that level.

13 minutes ago, COMonteCristo said:

It could possibly help your application to ask one of your LOR writers to mention that you plan to take certain advanced math classes in the spring semester of your senior year (like Real Analysis II and whatever other advanced math/stat classes) to ensure that you are prepared for graduate school. But the most important things are the grades on the transcript you submit with your application (which won't have your spring 2020 grades) and the letters of recommendation.

I think you should do well in admissions for most of the schools ranged 16-40 and your chances are above average at Duke and UW (conditional on good performance on the GRE and in Real Analysis and Advanced LA). Penn State has a good reputation, and physics majors who have also taken some advanced math (namely real analysis) are usually looked favorably upon by Statistics adcoms. In fact, an alumnus who just graduated from my PhD alma mater got a TT job at University of Minnesota Statistics (without a postdoc) and his undergrad major was Physics.

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc

Just now, Stat PhD Now Postdoc said:

It could possibly help your application to ask one of your LOR writers to mention that you plan to take certain advanced math classes in the spring semester of your senior year (like Real Analysis II and whatever other advanced math/stat classes) to ensure that you are prepared for graduate school. But the most important things are the grades on the transcript you submit with your application (which won't have your spring 2020 grades) and the letters of recommendation.

I think you should do well in admissions for most of the schools ranged 16-40 and your chances are above average at Duke and UW (conditional on good performance on the GRE and in Real Analysis and Advanced LA). Penn State has a good reputation, and physic majors who have also taken some advanced math (namely real analysis) are usually looked favorably upon by Statistics adcoms. In fact, one of the former PhD students who just graduated from my PhD alma mater got a TT job at University of Minnesota Statistics (without a postdoc) and his undergrad major was Physics.

Thank you so much for your input and suggestions!!!