Anyone with similar experiences regarding University of Toronto PhD in stats?

I'm an international student who did all my degrees in Canada. I am applying for PhD in stats at U of T this fall. 

I secured a meeting with two professors to discuss potential co-supervision and both of them are interested in taking me as student. Things seemed to be in my favor but I just got word from one of the prof that U of T places a heavy preference on Canadian domestic students over international applicant. 

From their PhD student directory, it seems they only take in 1 or maximum 2 international students every year out of possibly 500 applicants. 

This just makes things extremely depressing for me as U of T is the only school in Canada that has faculty doing what I'm interested in and if they don't take me, I have to try out schools in US but I really want to stay in Canada for a variety of personal reasons. 

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to deal with this issue emotionally? Moreover, what should I do in my application to maximize my chances? Also, should I ask those two profs to put in a word for me in front of the admission committee? 

Edited by davidolohowski

I think you're doing the right thing already by trying to become more than a number to them and forming those relationships.  Unfortunately, the funding situation in Canada heavily favors Canadian citizens and permanent residents, much more than US programs.  My only suggestion is to keep doing what you're doing.  If it's possible, you may be able to apply for Canadian permanent residence in the meantime and if you don't get in, you can reapply after getting PR when you are easy to fund.  

21 hours ago, bayessays said:

I think you're doing the right thing already by trying to become more than a number to them and forming those relationships.  Unfortunately, the funding situation in Canada heavily favors Canadian citizens and permanent residents, much more than US programs.  My only suggestion is to keep doing what you're doing.  If it's possible, you may be able to apply for Canadian permanent residence in the meantime and if you don't get in, you can reapply after getting PR when you are easy to fund.  

Thanks for the reply! I'm also wondering whether I should ask them to put a good word for me in front of ad com when I meet them. Will that be considered inappropriate? 

Edited by davidolohowski

It's hard to say exactly without knowing the extent of your communication and how interested they seem. I'd lean towards expressing how interested you are and asking what you can do to improve your chances and stand out to the admissions committee, which would lead into that sort of conversation where they might say "I'll let them know we have talked and there seems to be a good match." Asking someone you don't know well to put in a good word might be too forward and come off poorly, but if they have agreed to fund you with their money, obviously they would let the adcom know that.   I'd use your judgement and steer the conversation by asking what you can do and seeing how they respond to that.

4 hours ago, bayessays said:

It's hard to say exactly without knowing the extent of your communication and how interested they seem. I'd lean towards expressing how interested you are and asking what you can do to improve your chances and stand out to the admissions committee, which would lead into that sort of conversation where they might say "I'll let them know we have talked and there seems to be a good match." Asking someone you don't know well to put in a good word might be too forward and come off poorly, but if they have agreed to fund you with their money, obviously they would let the adcom know that.   I'd use your judgement and steer the conversation by asking what you can do and seeing how they respond to that.

Wow this is probably the best advice I've gotten so far. Thanks for pulling me out of a potential disaster!!