MEd Counselling Psychology (Counselling & Psychotherapy Vs Guidance and Counselling)

Glitterbug

I am looking into choosing to apply to one of 2 Masters programs which are:
  • MEd Counselling Psychology (Counselling & Psychotherapy)
  • MEd Counselling Psychology (Guidance and Counselling)
  •  
On the program outlines online it states that the 'MEd Counselling Psychology (Counselling & Psychotherapy)' enables you to become certified with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) and also gives you the skillset to obtain a license as a registered psychotherapist with the College of Registered Psychotherapist in Ontario. (CRPO) whereas the 'MEd Counselling Psychology (Guidance and Counselling)'  only states that it allows you to gain certification with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) 

From looking at the course outlines for both programs it seems they are very similar or at least the same courses of study can be taken for either if one wished. Can anyone tell me if doing the 'MEd Counselling Psychology (Guidance and Counselling) would enable licensure as a registered psychotherapist with the College of Registered Psychotherapists in Ontario given the correct course selection?

What short courses or continuing Ed courses have people done or could you recommend doing to improve my application for the Guidance and Counselling program should I choose to go that route. My current practical experience is limited and I feel it will hinder any application.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, Glitterbug said:
I am looking into choosing to apply to one of 2 Masters programs which are:
  • MEd Counselling Psychology (Counselling & Psychotherapy)
  • MEd Counselling Psychology (Guidance and Counselling)
  •  
On the program outlines online it states that the 'MEd Counselling Psychology (Counselling & Psychotherapy)' enables you to become certified with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) and also gives you the skillset to obtain a license as a registered psychotherapist with the College of Registered Psychotherapist in Ontario. (CRPO) whereas the 'MEd Counselling Psychology (Guidance and Counselling)'  only states that it allows you to gain certification with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) 

From looking at the course outlines for both programs it seems they are very similar or at least the same courses of study can be taken for either if one wished. Can anyone tell me if doing the 'MEd Counselling Psychology (Guidance and Counselling) would enable licensure as a registered psychotherapist with the College of Registered Psychotherapists in Ontario given the correct course selection?

What short courses or continuing Ed courses have people done or could you recommend doing to improve my application for the Guidance and Counselling program should I choose to go that route. My current practical experience is limited and I feel it will hinder any application.

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://www.ccpa-accp.ca/students/graduate-programs/canadian-graduate-programs/

This is is from CCPA they have a list of all programs that are approved for certification. You can work and gain provincial registration if you are able to register with CCPA. CCPA generally has more requirements than most if not all provinicial registration boards.