Profile Evaluation

aahdidya

Hi,

I'm an embedded software engineer working in the wireless networking domain at one of the leading semiconductor companies in the world. After working here for more than 2 years (~27 months), I have decided to pursue an MS in Computer Engineering.

• CGPA: 6.67/10 (It might translate to a GPA of around 2.8-2.9) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
  • GRE: 163Q/160V/4.0W (I am retaking the GRE again next month for a higher Quant score)
  • TOEFL: 110 (Will be writing it next month. I got a 110 3 years ago but the scores aren't valid anymore).

I addition to the above, I've received 4 awards from my team leads for working on some critical areas. I've submitted a paper in an internal company conference (not sure if this would matter in my applications since the work is completely proprietary to the company - so I may not be able to elaborate on it). I also have research experience as a summer research intern at one of the best research institutes for high performance computer architecture, here in India.

The problem is that I wasn't particularly consistent in scoring during my undergraduate because of some issues beyond my control. In fact, except for a slight kink (upwards) in my progress during my third year of undergrad, I pretty much took a dive. I applied to grad school right out of college (~2017) and got rejected from all the 7 colleges I applied to. After some careful deliberations, I have come to the conclusion that it may be have been attributed to more than a couple of shortcomings from my applications:

1. Not a strong enough recommendation or statement of purpose.
  2. GRE score (I had a 315 (159Q/156V/3.5W) back then)
  3. GPA (most obvious defect)
  4. Slightly ambitious college choices.

Would the profile above be able to offset my GPA shortcoming and give me a short at some good colleges? Graduate studies is an expensive proposition for me. So, I would only be motivated to move forward if I were to get into a college with a strong standing among academic and professional institutions.