What BME/MSE Programs Will Accept Me? (Very low UGrad GPA w/ publications)

CaliforniaDreaming

Hey everyone! I'm kind of in a pickle. I'm looking to apply to grad school in the fall, but I have a horrendous GPA. I battled depression and had some family issues throughout my undergraduate career, and so balancing everything was difficult for me. But I have always been super passionate about my research and have excelled in that arena, at the least.

I entered college wanting to go to MIT or Stanford for graduate school, but now I don't even want to apply because I don't think any place will accept me. Anything helps thank you.

Major: EECS

GPA: 2.4

GRE: Have not taken it yet, trying to get it up to perfect.

Research Experience: I have 3.5 years of research experience with a pretty famous professor in the field of devices (I worked on wearable sensors) and I have a really good rapport with my two professors, who I would be getting recs from.

Publications: I have SEVEN publications as an undergraduate in pretty good journals (ACS Nano, ACS Sensors, Advanced Materials, etc.) Including one first author and an acknowledgment in a Nature paper.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Regents Scholar, some EECS department awards for my research

Research Interests: Electrochemical Sensors, Wearables, Drug Delivery, Nanomedicine 

Thanks for any thoughts! I was considering getting a masters first, then applying to higher-ranked PhD programs would be of any use? Also, if anyone has experience spinning low GPAs in the application process, I'd love to hear about what you did. 

I don't usually post here, and I don't have any suggestions as to specific schools either. Your GPA is going to be a factor in just getting your application read. BUT, I am wondering, given your excellent research background and publications if your "pretty famous professor" might have some suggestions for you. Their experience working with you is important and might help you bridge due to connections to a program or two. 

Do you have a strong upward trend? That could also be emphasized.

Can you afford to take some graduate classes and do well in them to show ability to perform graduate work?

Can you afford to do a master's program?