I would love to go into Social Working. Is this field compatible for me?

NoviceWriter

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I hope it can help me out a lot. This may be a lot to read so if you don't like reading I suggest skipping this.  I am an 18 year old girl who recently enrolled in college and am a nursing major. I really thought it was what I wanted to do. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. Classes I'm taking are not just hard or boring, but I just genuinely don't care for them. But that's not just it. I have found no passion in what others around me find so interesting. And the feeling that the school gives me is odd, like I don't really belong there or fit in. I said I wanted to help other people, so I immediately jumped on the nursing career train. I guess I didn't really think it through. I am thinking of changing my major to social worker, complete a BSW and then go on to a MSW. Haha, it sure is a drastic change. I know it won't be easy, with people telling me things like it won't be high paying or that I have to complete more school, and most of all the money I have to risk. I mean, I already know that. But for some reason that really doesn't deter me. For some reason I am ready to risk a lot to go into this field.I am not sure why. I've read forums saying that it is a tough, challenging, and emotionally difficult field. But this somehow only fuels my passion to go into this field and eagerly. I personally had a rough and difficult childhood. I want to help other people who feel like they are alone or that they cannot be heard or that no one understands them. I love listening to others and offering advice I know will make a difference and help them check their own feelings too. It will be difficult for me because not only would  I diving right into this, but I am doing it despite my mental disabilities like General anxiety and ADHD. It may hinder my performance but I want to challenge myself and prove to myself that I CAN do it. I am not sure why I feel this way about going into social work. It is something that inspires me and makes me motivated, something that being in nursing school doesn't make me feel. I still feel anxious about it, but my excitement and genuine interest to do this overtakes that. For those who are in Social Work now, does this path seem compatible for me from what I just said? Any advice or comments? All are welcome. :)

Edited by NoviceWriter