Economics PhD Evaluation / Advice

Spycrab

Hello!

I am a current undergraduate senior strongly considering applying to economics PhD programs for Fall 2020. Not really certain how to gauge the strength of my application, so any advice of that nature would be greatly appreciated! 

Undergraduate Institution: Top 30 USNWR, Top 10 public. 

Major(s): Mathematics, Statistics, and Economics

GPA: 3.92 / 4.00

Type of Student: Domestic, White, Male

Mathematics: 

• Calculus 3 (A)
  • Differential Equations (A)
  • Sets and Logic (A)
  • Complex Variables (A)
  • Linear Algebra (A)
  • Abstract Algebra(A-)
  • Advanced Calculus, Two Semesters, A, A (Undergraduate level real analysis)
  • Numerical Analysis (A)
  • Real Analysis (Current, graduate level, will be taking another semester of it during spring)
  •  

Computer Science:

• Programming Fundamentals (A)
  • Fundamentals of Machine Learning (Current, graduate)

Statistics:

• Probability Theory (A)
  • Statistics Theory (A)
  • Statistical Machine Learning (A), graduate level course
  • Regression Analysis (A-)
  • Categorical Data Analysis (A)
  • Bayesian Methods and Applications, graduate level
  • Design of Experiments (A)
  • Multivariate Statistical Analysis (A-)
  • Theoretical Statistics (Current, graduate level, will be taking another semester during spring)

Economics:

• Intermediate Microeconomics (A)
  • Economics of Competitive Strategy (A)
  • Econometrics (Current)

GRE General: Q(168), V(170), W(5). 

Experience:

• Working as an RA for an economics professor in my department. Mostly data level work, some web scraping, some elementary analysis. I am credited as an assistant in some of their papers. 
  • Interned at the Board of Governors, had various interesting projects 
  • Interned at Emory, bio-statistics research based
  • Interned at a insurance firm 

Letters of Recommendation:

• One from my economist at the Fed. 
  • One from one of my statistics professors, who knows me very well and taught my bayesian / statistical machine learning courses
  • Probably one from the professor I work as an RA for
  • Possibly could receive one from either my advanced calculus professor or my real analysis professor if it would be beneficial 

Concerns:

1. My academic background is light on economics. This is partially because I came into the major very late, and partially because I enjoy taking my higher level math / stats courses. I am hoping that my internship with the Fed and my research assistant position help fix this issue to some extent. 
  2. Not sure how to stress the fact that some of my classes were taken at the graduate level (In the sense that most of the students are masters / PhD students). For most of these courses an undergraduate section was created so that I would not have to pay extra tuition, but their course code reflects that fact. I am not sure how / where to differentiate these classes, or even if I should.
  3. Not positive where my exact research interests lie. While I have heard that research interests can change dramatically in grad school anyways, I am having a hard time narrowing down what schools interest me the most. 

Thanks in advance for any recommendations / advice you can give!