LORs and Retirement

So my wonderful LORs submitted all their letters online to the online application. Then my app was autodeleted. The system gives a window of activity and after that all applications in the system are autodeleted. The dates for this window of activity was not posted anywhere. One of my strongest recs retired shortly thereafter.

Long story short, how appropriate is it to try to track down retired profs? Are they obligated to provide one after retirement? What are the best ways to maintain contact with a retired prof or are you supposed to leave them alone to knit in their rocking chair on the front porch in peace?

I don't know your relationship with your recommender, but I don't think the prof would mind if you explained the situation. After all, the letter is written - s/he just has to re-submit it, right? If their institution email address no longer works, perhaps try contacting the dept secretary - she might be able to track the prof down for you.