Microbiology PhD Program Suggestions

meghanx0919

Hi, 

I am planning on applying to phD programs for the next fall and need some advice for the schools I am applying too. It feels as the schools I am selecting are a reach and that my list is too large. I have been working hard on getting my applications together but right now it feels so pointless to apply.

My research interests include: infectious disease related (microbe-host interaction, pathogenesis (parasitology, virology or bacterial), emerging infectious disease, vaccine/antibiotic development etc.), and microbiome. 

My credentials include: 

• 3.17 GPA (3.2 major)- BS Biology 
    • I am aware of how low this is. My GPA my first two years of college was terrible, I was dealing with a lot of mental health issues and did not know how to manage anything. I was lost. My grades and ambitions suffered. My last two years of undergrad I brought up my GPA significantly (.5 points) and got B+/A's in my upper-level biology courses 
  • Small scale undergraduate directed study (senior year of undergrad)
  • TA for Gen bio lab and TA for into to anthropology 
  • I worked as a tab tech right out of undergrad for about 6 months and then was promoted to an associate scientist position (since last January), both positions in the same lab
    • Research focuses on preservative testing, I have learned A LOT about what it is like to work in industry as a research scientist and career prospects 
  • My director and executive director of my lab is writing me a strong (hopefully) recommendation letter and I have a professor who I was close with writing my third letter 

PhD Programs I am applying too:

• Stony Brook Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
  • UMass Immunology and Microbiology
  • Cornell Medical (Weill) Immunology & Microbial Pathogenesis 
  • Columbia Microbiology, Immunology, and Infection 
  • Georgetown Microbiology and Immunology
  • Boston University Microbiology
  • New York Medical Microbiology and Immunology
  • NYU Microbiology 
  • Rutgers Microbial Biology
  • UPitt Microbiology
  • UofR Immunology, Microbiology, and Virology (IMV) PhD 

I have thought about extensively about what a phD entails and definitely feel ready but I know my credentials are lacking compared to others that are applying to the same programs. Even with my low GPA alone I don't know if I will even be considered anywhere. ALL of these programs seem like a stretch to me :( 

My questions include: will it be a stretch for me to get accepted to any of these programs or do you think I have a chance? am I applying to too many programs? are my credentials slightly better than what I am thinking? 

Thank you so much for your advice!!! I really appreciate it! 

Edited by meghanx0919