Importance of Letter of Rec Source

egggs

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could help me understand how important it is that letters of recommendation come from political science professors? Does a letter hold less weight if it comes from a professor outside of political science? I am specifically thinking about how the top programs may view it. 

I know two political science professors who I think will write me good letters (have done research and taken classes with both). But was hoping to ask an economics professor to write my third letter. I have taken two of her classes and been her TA for one - so I feel she know me well. I am also minoring in economics, if that makes a difference. 

Is asking for a letter from another political science professor (let's say someone I have only taken a single class with, for example) a safer bet than a more personal letter from an economics professor? I am worried that it may make me seem less serious about the discipline somehow/carry less weight since no one on admission committees will likely recognize the economics professor. 

Thanks for the help!