April 15th is creepin up, I need help pleaaaase!

Okay ya'll here is the issue.

I've narrowed my choices down to three: 1. MPP @Harris School 2. MSPPM (Pitt/DC track) @CMU 3. MIA @SIPA, Columbia

CMU gave me full tution + stipend for living expenses.

Harris School has offered me full tuition.

SIPA gave me ZERO.

My end goal varies from working for the Department of State to working for a U.N. body to working for an organization like RAND or Carnegie Endowment.

If I were to go to CMU or Chicago, I would concentrate on being a "quant. beast". At SIPA I would do a regional focus on South Asia.

At CMU/Chicago I would be studying what I need in order to be competitve for the jobs I want. At SIPA, though, I would really love what I'm studying AND (I believe) be well trained.

The thing is its hard to a. let go of SIPA b. let go of such great funding.

Should i even consider SIPA...130K?? What about Harris Vs. Heinz?

Please. Any comments AT ALL are appreciated. I am not capable of thinking about this any longer. And yes, you are allowed to tell me there is no decision to make, go with the most funding. I think i need to hear it.

Okay ya'll here is the issue.

I've narrowed my choices down to three: 1. MPP @Harris School 2. MSPPM (Pitt/DC track) @CMU 3. MIA @SIPA, Columbia

CMU gave me full tution + stipend for living expenses.

Harris School has offered me full tuition.

SIPA gave me ZERO.

My end goal varies from working for the Department of State to working for a U.N. body to working for an organization like RAND or Carnegie Endowment.

If I were to go to CMU or Chicago, I would concentrate on being a "quant. beast". At SIPA I would do a regional focus on South Asia.

At CMU/Chicago I would be studying what I need in order to be competitve for the jobs I want. At SIPA, though, I would really love what I'm studying AND (I believe) be well trained.

The thing is its hard to a. let go of SIPA b. let go of such great funding.

Should i even consider SIPA...130K?? What about Harris Vs. Heinz?

Please. Any comments AT ALL are appreciated. I am not capable of thinking about this any longer. And yes, you are allowed to tell me there is no decision to make, go with the most funding. I think i need to hear it.

Full Disclosure: I am a Harris grad.

To be perfectly blunt, I think that you would be foolish to choose SIPA. That is an enormous expense for a school that is really a peer of the other two. Further, while your interest in regional studies might be better served at SIPA, I cannot see how this is worth 130K. Also, Chicago (nor Heinz, from what I can gather) is not merely a "quant" school. You have more coursework geared to political economy than to statistics/quantitative methods, and the second year of the program affords you ample opportunity to branch out into virtually any area you choose (you may take up to 6 courses outside the Harris School, btw). Finally, by graduating with much less debt, you will have a lot more flexibility to take a job you like, rather than one you need for the purposes of paying off debt.

imo, the rational choice comes down to Heinz vs. Chicago-Harris.

If I have no debts and some savings, I'll go for Harris. If I still have undergrad debt, I'll go for CMU.

Harris is a good school. You'll be lots happier without the 130k debt. After graduation, you have more freedom to choose to work in any field you want without worrying about your massive debt.

That's my opinion.

I say Harris all the way--and I'm probably going to SIPA. A free deal in a rad city like Chicago would be SO stupid to pass up. Plus--think of all the awesome people at U Chicago that you can take classes with. I hate DC.

I wonder if you turn down CMU if they'll give the money to me...

Have you visited these programs? How the directors treat you and how you feel in the city and on the campus makes a huge difference. I'll also throw my hat in for CMU - if you want to work in DC after graduation, that is your best bet, and with a totally free ride I don't see why you wouldn't consider it. The program has an excellent reputation, and the DC aspect allows you to personalize the program to whatever your interests are.

It really depends on what you want to get out of the degree. I'm in a different scenario and had to turn down CMU with some aid, because it didn't actually align with my intended career path.

The Harris full ride definitely looks like the way to go, and I'd look into SIPA only if you can back yourself completely to get second year scholarships and get your dream job after you graduate. If it can help, I'd suggest you join the linkedin alumni group of both Harris and SIPA and check out what people do after they graduate. And it includes both recent and old alumni, average alumni, top alumni, the whole bunch. I just think it could give you an additional perspective and justify your choices.

i think following the money is the soundest advice i've heard. SIPA - while it may interest you most - is likely not worth $130K debt when compared to the free rides. you don't want to be kicking yourself later. trust me - that's a lot of money.

having said that, when comparing harris and CMU i think you should compare 1) feeling upon visits (student body, other prospective students - is this a class you want to be around?) 2) career services placement and whether they go the extra mile for you. don't worry too much about DC network versus another... any of those schools are revered enough to be fine 3) course/degree requirements - thesis or not? lots of electives or not? 4) location. of course this is not exhaustive of things to compare but quantitatively i think you're fine at either school. does harris offer you certain electives/concentrations that CMU doesn't? where do you currently live - would you be able to move out to chicago? conversely, would you be able to live one year in pittsburgh and one year in DC? the fact that CMU is also paying for living expenses, well that's just a pretty sweet deal...

making a chart helps... reading through these forums help... but ultimately i do think that gut feeling upon visiting is the ticket to knowing your comfort level at a school and gauging if you'll be happy.

you guys, thank you so much for ALL this feedback, I really appreciate it.

I'm visiting Chicago this weekend actually, and hoping to really like it.

I've visited CMU several times and I do love it.

And, here I start the process of getting over SIPA. It truly isn't worth it and yea, the 130K would be like a sword hanging over my head for those two years. Definitely too much pressure.

Between Harris and Heinz its going to come down to placement after graduation and internships while in school. I am straight out of undergrad and I would be lying if I said that doesn't make me nervous as hell looking for jobs during/after this degree.

Thanks again!

you guys, thank you so much for ALL this feedback, I really appreciate it.

I'm visiting Chicago this weekend actually, and hoping to really like it.

I've visited CMU several times and I do love it.

And, here I start the process of getting over SIPA. It truly isn't worth it and yea, the 130K would be like a sword hanging over my head for those two years. Definitely too much pressure.

Between Harris and Heinz its going to come down to placement after graduation and internships while in school. I am straight out of undergrad and I would be lying if I said that doesn't make me nervous as hell looking for jobs during/after this degree.

Thanks again!

Hi again. I'm in a similar boat about the straight from undergrad thing, so I know how you feel! I called Marie, the director of the DC-track at Heinz, and she told me a bunch of stuff about the specific program that convinced me. If you want to work in DC, the DC-track is a gauranteed job. All but 3 people that have done the program ended up employed within 3 months - the other 3 1) went home to china 2) went to law school and 3) turned down a bunch of offers, ended up with her dream job in January. All of the apprenticeships thus far have been paid, and over half of the class usually ends up working for that company. Plus, there is a DC mentoring program for those students and you'll get paired with an alum in your field who is in DC. If you decide not to go to DC, you can stay in Pittsburgh. Anyhow, the DC program is much smaller and more personalized, and the director was awesome. You can always call her if you still can't make up your mind!

thanks for the info mppgal, that helps.

However, i have heard some rumors that the apprenticeships in DC can be mundane/not satisfactory. Again, this is from a girl at the Harris Admitted Students Day who turned Heinz down.

s33- I PMed you!

I think I'm leaning towards Heinz pitt-dc track. Anyone out there who would advocate for Harris for someone right out of undergrad? The whole yr of relevant and direct w/e is the main reason I'm choosing Heinz.

I cant wait for thursday when I will HAVE to turn in my decision. This mental/emotional turmoil will be over.