Russian studies

Hanhan**

Schools Applying To: Top choice is Harvard REECA, Oxford and Cambridge Russian studies. College of Europe. Probably Sciences Po-MGIMO.
Accepting suggestions!

Undergraduate institution: Sciences Po
Undergraduate GPA: 3.89/4.00 or 4.11/4.3 (Columbia scale) --> "cum laude". Currently on exchange at a prestigious US college, but won't get first transcripts before December. Should I wait to submit my application until I get transcripts, or submit it before I can "proove" great achievement in a rigorous US program?
Undergraduate Major: Law and Political Science, with minor in International Relations. I also pursued another degree in Economics at the same time as my Sciences Po degree.
Teaching experience: teaching assistant (although only languages: German and French)
Research experience: researcher assistant in International Security, International Fellowship in Armenia, Security research internship with a top US think tank
Conferences & Publications: no publications (or one in an unknown policy review). My undergraduate thesis will be on transitional justice in frozen conflicts in the post-Soviet region.
GRE Scores: Haven't taken it yet. I will only take the GRE if I believe I'll have chances at Harvard or other top-US schools that require GRE scores.
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): none. 
Years of Work Experience: time as undergraduate researcher and various others (see below).
Describe Relevant Work Experience: coordinated advocacy campaigns and liaised with French deputies. Worked as international fellow in well-known Armenian think tank. Long-term internship at US think tank in International Security and conflict researcher at a famous German think tank. Will begin an internship at a foreign consulate, but, most probably, only once I've submitted my application.
Quant Experience: none.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): They should be very good. One is from a professor whose class I took during my exchange in the USA, who herself is a graduate of Harvard's REECA, and the other probably from the professor I worked with as a research assistant. That however wasn't centered on the region. Will this be a disadvantage? Also, because undergraduate degrees in Europe are only 3 years long and I am spending my last year abroad, I do not have any professor that knows me "really, really well".
Languages: English, French, German, Russian (intermediate), Armenian

I'm still not entirely certain about Russian studies or Political Science, which is why I would apply to both Russian studies and PoliSci programs whereever possible (Oxford and Cambridge certainly). Do you have any recommendations?

• 4 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 7:20 AM, Hanhan** said:

I'm still not entirely certain about Russian studies or Political Science

The same story. I'm undecided about UCSD MA in International Affairs or Yale MA in Russian Studies. 

Have you made up your mind yet?

Not at all ^^

I'm even reconsidering rejecting all the offers and reapplying next year with an outside scholarship that would pay full tuition or in hope of an offer for a PhD/more funding for an MA program.

What are your main concerns? Financial, location, program, etc.?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 8:46 PM, Hanhan** said:

Not at all ^^

I'm even reconsidering rejecting all the offers and reapplying next year with an outside scholarship that would pay full tuition or in hope of an offer for a PhD/more funding for an MA program.

What are your main concerns? Financial, location, program, etc.?

Sorry it took me so long to answer ;-( 
My primary consideration is job prospects (namely in academia or, failing that, consulting). I'm just worried about whether a degree in area studies is marketable?

• 1 year later...

Hey guys!

It is a bit old convo, but I'll try my luck. Applied to MA REECA for Fall 22 call. Could you please share your experience, when are they sending out interview invitations and final decisions? any other tips will be more than appreciated!