Maxwell/UAlbany/GW Elliott

I was fortunate in that I was accepted to all the programs I applied to, however only 4 of them offered any sort of funding, so they are the ones I am now giving consideration. RIT gave me a full tuition assitantship, but I don't see anything they do that I couldn't also get out of Albany, so I'm only considering the latter.

Just as background, I have a BA in History and Science, worked in IT consulting for 6 years, and now want to work in (federal) government/NGOs/public-private on science and technology policy, policy analysis, and as much econ as I can reasonably pick up (my undergrad was light in this, I've taken a la carte courses to help). In the back of my head I'm mulling a PhD (Econ is my thought), but I don't think that's something I'm going to dive into at this time.

That said, here are the pros and cons I've been able to list for each:

Syracuse Maxwell (MPA)

Pros:

Excellent reputation/#1 ranking

1 year program, so lower opportunity costs, and cheaper

has the option of a concurrent Econ MA (which I'm very interested in, I just haven't heard back from the director on details)

on visit day, both professors and current students seemed very enthusiastic, friendly, and approachable

Syracuse has relatively cheap cost of living

Alumni network one of (if not the) best around

Cons:

1 year program, so intense and no room for a job/summer internship

in Syracuse, which has crappy weather but is also not near any major hubs of activity

generalist MPA, though this could also be a good thing depending on how you look at it

worst financial offer of the 3, 5k for the entire program

University at Albany (MPA)

Pros:

Grad Assistanship with full tuition + stipend for the first year, 2nd year program requires students to get an internship outside

very cheap overall to live, I'd be graduating with essentially no debt

I visited them first, and was actually surprised how much I liked the professors, they really seemed like they were enjoying their jobs

they have a specialization in technology policy, however it's focused more on government informatics and IT than on policy analysis

very focused on placing students after school

Cons:

Doesn't have the overall reputation of the other schools

has alumni connections, but very heavily focused on NYS/NYC, not sure how they are about Federal stuff (they mentioned they have good success with Presidential Management Fellowships)

in Albany, crappy weather, though it's the state capital so better location wise than Syracuse

was not hugely impressed with the other students I met

GW Elliott (MA-Intl Science and Technology Policy)

Pros:

Offering half tuition merit aid, making it the middle option financially (cost of living may throw this off though)

Good reputation

alumni network seems strong, with lots of practitioners on faculty

Program is very specialized towards what I want to do, though more internationally focused, the other programs seem more domestic based

Study abroad option for a semester

in DC, so right where a lot of the action is

Cons:

My experience with them is colored a bit, since I haven't been to official visit day (it's the 16th), though I did attend an informal info session + tour. That can only tell you so much, and also I get the impression the administration team is somewhat disorganized based on how they've handled the admission process.

The focus of the degree could be a liability in the future if I decide to try a different area (at least that's my thinking)

No idea on how econ/quant heavy I can make the curriculum, or if I can register for courses in other depts.

DC is very expensive

There are a lot of these threads floating around I know, but any thoughts are appreciated.

washndry, I'm not the best person to give advice since I applied to and will be attending only one school. If I was in your shoes though, I would keep in mind that the economy isn't that great even for MPA grads (see http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125223926&sc=fb&cc=fp). Syracuse seems to have the "best" reputation along with a strong alum network, so that is probably what I would choose. And since the program is only one year, you will not be racking up too much debt either. Best of luck with your decision!

washndry, I'm not the best person to give advice since I applied to and will be attending only one school. If I was in your shoes though, I would keep in mind that the economy isn't that great even for MPA grads (see http://www.npr.org/t...6&sc=fb&cc=fp). Syracuse seems to have the "best" reputation along with a strong alum network, so that is probably what I would choose. And since the program is only one year, you will not be racking up too much debt either. Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks for the reply. I discounted Albany despite the funding, as I don't think it has the connections or depth to help me towards where I want to go. After working out the costs for the two remaining programs, I would have to take on about the same amount of debt (~60k) to attend either school. If I were to look for the dual degree option at Syracuse, I can multiply that figure by about 1.5. This is all very scary to me. That aside, Syracuse seems to be more supportive as an institution than GW, just from my dealings. Additionally, upon further reflection, while the MA-ISTP offered at GW is very exciting as it is spot on what I'm interested in, I feel like that level of specialization at this point could be counterproductive, and the broader "tools" based approach of Syracuse might give me more options down the road. The dual degree option would also help me should I decide to go on to further education.

So right now, I'm pretty sure it's Syracuse, hope to get into the MA Econ, and spend the time before July on finding some sort of financial solution. :unsure:

So am I crazy to do this?

Edited by washndry