Tulane University

Riotbeard

Nice! Have you been to New Orleans yet? I can't wait to move! Is your name a reference to red tea (I can never remember the spelling)? It is delicious.

I've been there for two brief visits-- about long enough to eat beignets and ride the streetcar, but not much else. I'm super excited about moving there, too! I love cities and New Orleans is an especially lovely one. Have you spent much time there?

Yep, my name is a nod to red tea, which is my favourite!

Have you registered for classes or done anything fun like that yet?

<br />I've been there for two brief visits-- about long enough to eat beignets and ride the streetcar, but not much else. I'm super excited about moving there, too! I love cities and New Orleans is an especially lovely one. Have you spent much time there?<br /><br />Yep, my name is a nod to red tea, which is my favourite!<br /><br />Have you registered for classes or done anything fun like that yet?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I got to visit for a weekend. I only went to the french quarter enough for beignets (Is that really how it's spelled? haha, my foreign language was German). I spent most of my time wandering around uptown with a college friend who had just moved back after graduating in 09, which I love uptown and the garden district. I love cities and urban life, but I am glad Tulane is in a more neighborhoodie area. I can't wait to be in a bikable city again. I learned Soft Shell Crab is delicious. I have not gotten to register for classes, even though I keep trying. I only committed last week, and my advisor was out of town until Sunday, so the wheels have been turning slow for me. They gave me my e-mail address, but I have a H1N1 immunity hold, so I can't even look at what is offered until I am safely shot up. I have talked to my advisor and met some profs, and visited the campus, which is amazing for this state school kid! I also got to meet another member of my cohort who was visiting when I was there and some of the grad students already starting. Isn't their funding amazing?!

How about you? Have you registered for classes? I had friend doing the same type of program as you at UCLA, I think she does modernist stuff and lit crit. Rooibos, mate, and mint are my favorite tea types. I once found this Chai Rooibos. It was a revalation. I have a tea droor in my office at work , since I stopped coffee on weekdays...

I'll be there, too! In the Spanish department.

Sounds like you both have had almost exactly the same experience as me, so far. I visited for a weekend, just long enough to reassure myself that the school, the city, and the food (oh man, the food) are all amazing! I love the part of town that Tulane is in. I'm so psyched to be able to walk, run, or bike anywhere I want to go! I've been in the suburbs for almost two years now, and I can't wait to get away from my damn car for a while.

I love the architecture uptown, too. I'm excited to find an apartment down there. Are you guys planning on going back down to find a place, or are you going to just trust Craigslist (the Internet never lies, right?). I was planning on making another quick trip down, but that's going to get pricey...

I have to get my immunization stuff in order before I can register, too. AND, I second the amazing funding. Literally the best I've heard of out of any of my friends in the Humanities (including schools in DC and NYC, which are also WAY more expensive places to live).

Edited by katie67

<br />I'll be there, too! In the Spanish department. <br /><br />Sounds like you both have had almost <i>exactly</i> the same experience as me, so far. I visited for a weekend, just long enough to reassure myself that the school, the city, and the food (oh man, the food) are all amazing! I love the part of town that Tulane is in. I'm so psyched to be able to walk, run, or bike anywhere I want to go! I've been in the suburbs for almost two years now, and I can't wait to get away from my damn car for a while. <br /><br />I love the architecture uptown, too. I'm excited to find an apartment down there. Are you guys planning on going back down to find a place, or are you going to just trust Craigslist (the Internet never lies, right?). I was planning on making another quick trip down, but that's going to get pricey...<br /><br />I have to get my immunization stuff in order before I can register, too. AND, I second the amazing funding. Literally the best I've heard of out of any of my friends in the Humanities (including schools in DC and NYC, which are also WAY more expensive places to live).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I have been in the suburbs for the last year myself, so I can't wait to change from commuting in a car to on a bike (I am not excited about the obstical courses they call roads down there, but you know). I am going to craiglist/ visit. I only live 5 1/2 hours a way so it's not that huge of drive. I will probably set up some place to look at the week before I come down to actually look at them. It does not look like there are many listings yet for August when I plan to move in.

Riotbeard, there's an amazing tea store in the Quarter called Bottom of the Cup. I have some of their teas, and they are suuuuper good. You should try it out sometime. They also do tea leaf/psychic readings if you're into stuff like that. It's a way cool place!

katie67, my lady and I will be living in grad student housing precisely because we were kind of leery of just picking a place from Craigslist. I'm excited about being able to walk and bike and take the buses and streetcars everywhere, too! Hurray for cities!

And yeah, the funding is pretty damn amazing!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use