How to Thank your LOR Writer's

IvySWCu

Hey Guys,

I am looking to thank my professors and supervisors who have written my great LOR's, what is an appropiate way to thank them or show them gratitude, aside from an email?

Thanks!

If you're thinking of gifts, there have a been a few past threads about appropriate gifts for professors/PIs/LOR writers - just use the search function of the forum. I believe the most popular gifts are pens and school logo mugs?

I personally hand-wrote my letter writers a little thank you card, and also gave them a small bookmark thingy with designs from my country/culture. I also updated them about where I got in and where I decided to go - many of them really like to hear that!

I gave my undergrad PI a piece of accessory apparel with nerdy prints (a microscope, because we worked on microscopy). I also gave nerdy gifts to everyone in the lab, each personalized to what they like/work on (glucose necklace, nucleotide cookie cutters, antibody earrings, tiny lymph node plushies etc.), but that's mostly me having fun buying cute unnecessary stuff (lol) and I'd only do something this elaborate/personal for people I actually worked extensively with, i.e. not someone who only taught me a class and then wrote me a letter.

@DRMF

I searched some of the past forums, it also seemed some thought gift giving could be inappropiate? I love the idea of a hand written card and the bookmark from your culture! I think I will for sure copy this idea. 

You made this pretty easy, thanks!