list of US graduate schools

wajahat

Hello All,

i am an international graduate student interested in "computer vision" in general and "visual SLAM" in particular. I want to pursue PhD in this area from any reasonable university from US. I'll be grateful if you could provide me with a list of graduate schools offering computer science PhD especially in the area mentioned above. MITs and Stanfords etc are the usual suspects which appear in virtually all such lists. To make this list more useful please don't include the top 10 US universities. If you want you can also include graduate schools outside US leaving out cambridge and oxford smile.gif

Thanking you in anticipation.

regards

wajih

I'd say not that many people (relatively speaking) in the computer vision community work in SLAM. SLAM is more popular among robotics community, so I think you should try to focus more on finding a department with excellent robotics program instead of computer vision (because the two don't necessarily coincide). Having said that, of course the best option for you is to go with departments that are good in both like CMU, Stanford, MIT, Gatech. Unfortunately I think outside the top 10 it'd be harder to find good robotics program because robotics is rather resource heavy ($$$) compared to just pure computer vision research.

Anyway, here's a partial list of what I think to be a good computer vision program outside the top 10 and Oxbridge.

Europe:

- ETH Zurich

- Lund University, Sweden

- University College London

- MPI Germany

USA:

- Caltech

- UCSD

- UCLA

- Harvard

- NYU

- Columbia

I don't know which one among those have people working in SLAM, I'm not that familiar with robotics. But I know for sure that Caltech's robotics program is one of the best in the world.

Edited by explorer-c

U. Maryland, College Park is one of the best computer vision schools (its group is huge)

How could I forgot UMD. Azriel Rosenfeld, the godfather of computer vision was there. He was deceased half a decade ago but UMD is still one of the best for computer vision.

Edited by explorer-c