UCLA and UCSD

soelarmidnite

I was just wondering if anyone knew the reputation of UCLA or UCSD's photonic department

I can perhaps think of one research group at UCSD. UCLA's is a very well developed programme, however, with some big-shots there. If you've been accepted at both places and are trying to choose between the two, and you don't have any specific reason to choose UCSD, I'd say, go for UCLA.

Purdue has at least 1 big-shot in photonics. There was another person too whose work I found interesting. Other than them, I haven't come across much work of my interest there. I guess that's because of the overall emphasis on optics and electromagnetics rather than photonics, so I'm perhaps not the best person to comment on it. Comparing the three, well, Purdue's is definitely a much larger program, so there's bound to be some good work going on there. Apart from that, I can't think of any particular reason why I would choose Purdue over UCLA. Your priorities and reasons may be different.

And congratulations on the offers! All are really nice schools. What kind of a financial offer did Purdue make?

I didn't get any funding for Purdue actually haha...

Have you made a decision yet?

Well...my head says 'Go to Cornell', heart says 'Go to UCLA' :blink:<br>As for Purdue, I guess it should be an easier decision since the offer is not funded.<br>

Edited by Confused Goose