Fall 2020 math phd evaluation

I am currently apply to mathematics grad school. Concentration on Algebraic geometry/topology.

Undergrad: top30 private

Undergrad GPA: 3.13/4.0 Major GPA: 3.58/4.0 (My gpa of first two years is a mess. I had health issue one semester, which prevent me from going to class. If exclude that semester, I got major gpa:3.84/4.0.) I took 17 upper-division math/stats courses among which 10 are grad level.

GREs:160v+170q+3aw; 740 sub(67% TAT)

Research one senior honor thesis on low-dimensional topology(some original idea on knot theory); one summer research in a foreign institution.

LoRs: one strong letter from my thesis advisor, who also taught me 4 courses, including two grad level courses, and 2 seminar; other two from course instructors who taught me grad level courses.

I just wonder if I have a chance to get into top50 grad school on math or not?  I applied for/will apply to: = USC, WashU, OSU, UW-Madison, UIUC, UVA, Duke, UCD, Michigan State, Gatech and Rutgers.

I've contacted some professors in related area. Some said my thesis was interesting and worth future research. Also some told me to notify them when submitted. Is that a positive sign that I have a chance to get into their school?

I believe some committees will throw away my application right after they see my GPA and GRE sub?  so what can I do to improve my application? 

Edited by abudabashiniba

I would suggest that you post your profile over at https://mathematicsgre.com/

They can probably give you a better assessment over there.

Based on my limited expertise however... unfortunately, I do think that you are right that your undergrad GPA and GRE subject may not make the "cut-off" for some schools. On the other hand, though, you did take a lot of graduate-level math classes and did well in most of your math courses. I think other schools may be more open to your application, provided that: a) it is explained in your letters of recommendation and your statement of purpose that, apart from a health issue one semester, your math GPA is excellent and your overall/math GPA's showed a clear upward trend (i.e. "My GPA improved from [freshman year GPA] to [current GPA]"), and b) you and your letter writers emphasize that you took 10 graduate-level courses (and presumably did well in all/most of them). There is quite a bit of variation in how much different departments emphasize the math subject GRE.

As much as I have seen, actually mGRE seems to be even less acknowledged in pure mathematics admissions. I mean, after all, it is just a bunch of calculations, and anyone in math major can have a decent score by memorizing stuff. I have seen someone with ~60% accepted to Berkeley. The GPA is a bit of a concern, but maybe if you explain it well in the SoP,  and since you came from a great university, I think it can be mitigated to a certain degree (although this is just guessing).

The mathGRE forum is quite inactive, but indeed you should give it a try. But I think the best choice is to ask your professors about it.