United Nations University HQ, anyone?

Firlim

I am thinking of applying for the PhD in sustainability Sciences at the United Nations University HQ in Tokyo Japan  and having hard time to find graduates to whom I can talk to. I want to inquire upon few things and would like to have some feedbacks:

- The curriculum seems broad, I could not find the PhD brochures or any details about the curriculum/ courses offered?

- The quality of the Lecturers and the Diploma as a whole? How does it rank internationally? 

- Does the  diploma help you secure a job at the UN system or prestigious research centres afterwards? 
- The potential scholarship offered, would be for sure competitive,  but my question if you secure it, is it enough to cover all the expenses in a big metropole such as Tokyo?

Any reply is very much appreciated! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there~

I never attended UNU, but I used to work non-profit and know several people who work at the UN. I don't know how familiar you are with UN's recruiting system, e.g. the YPP track where you take the exam and the more usual track where you are more than often asked to have some solid work experience (likely more than 5 years to begin with and in related fields). If your goal is to work at UN, you'd want to know the system. (also the usual length of contract for people with your background) I previously focused on human rights and SDGs, and most people I know (from UNDP, UN Women, etc.) have a degree from research universities (not necessarily PhD, but lots of people have a degree in law) and years of related experience working for NGOs or governments.

Regarding its reputation, to be honest with you, I wouldn't know that it existed if I had never studied in Tokyo and happened to have walked by the building for a few times. If you are interested in studying at a prestigious institution for a PhD in (sustainable) development studies, (also I probably should point out that most people I know who do development studies/advocacy do not have a PhD in development studies but a MPP, or they have a JD or a PhD in e.g. economics or political science) you might be interested in Columbia's SIPA (PhD in development studies) or Princeton's WWS (PhD in public affairs)?

Since I myself do not have first-hand experience with UNU, I'd also recommend that you contact them directly and ask who their graduate students are, the kind of jobs they take after graduation, and to what extent their experience studying at UNU helped or worked against their career. And, to what extent are they a think tank, and to what extent an education institution.

Anyways, good luck!