Can Research experience and GPA compensate for mediocre GRE score.

Hanahsh

I am doing my Masters in Mechanical Engineering at a pretty good US University where I got in with my mediocre GRE and undergrad GPA. But here I am doing really good, getting all strong A's and doing great with my research with one or more good potential publications. I want to apply to some of the top tier Universities for my PhD like UC Berkeley or UC San Diego. But I really don't wanna retake my GRE and I don't really have any time to prepare for that either. Since my mediocre GRE score is far less than the average accepted GRE scores in those Universities, I am wondering can I really get into those top tier Universities with an overall stronger profile except for a strong GRE score? Or should I just prepare and retake GRE to avoid the hassle? 

• 3 months later...

I'm unsure how many Engineering Ph.D. programs seriously look into GRE scores of potential candidates, but just to be safe, I'd retake the GRE if you think it's mediocre. I wouldn't take that much time to prepare for it if your comprehension and writing skills are good enough.

You can overcome a weaker GRE with a strong application otherwise for many schools, but not for others. Not all programs look at the GRE the same way. The best bet is to find ones that don't require the GRE, which is becoming a lot of them.

The thing to keep in mind is: admissions are extremely competitive at top programs. They get far more qualified applicants than they can take. You are competing against other students and they're not considering your application in a vacuum. Many students will have great GRE, great GPA, great experience, etc. and not get in. You want to make your application as strong as possible to give yourself the best chance.

One other thing to note is, while it might not make much sense, some schools will still consider your undergraduate GPA even with a Master's degree.