Russia, Eastern Europe, Central Asia Regional Studies MA Programs 2020

Hanhan**

Hi everyone!

Is anyone else applying to master's programs in area/regional studies in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia? Any past applicants or people currently in these programs?

I'm applying to Stanford's CREES, Oxford's MPhil, the dual degree between Sciences Po and MGIMO and the College of Europe/Fletcher. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine says that it is complete; however under the checklist there are no official transcripts from the two study-abroad institutions I attended (only the official one from my undergrad institution) and it also didn't show that I uploaded a course resume (which was uploaded separately from "additional materials", right? I am not able to see the application layout since the application period closed and I am driving myself crazy thinking it must be missing). It says that we will be contacted if anything is incomplete though, so there's some peace of mind! 

I graduated with an international relations degree from a very small institution in Switzerland (though I am from the US originally). I chose to focus on Central Asia and spent two semesters abroad, one in Kyrgyzstan and one in Tajikistan. In terms of work experience I did an internship at an NGO in Dushanbe in border security,  did another internship in a refugee counseling center in Germany and worked for a govt-funded language program in Tajikistan post graduation. Now I have been working in academic publishing for the past few years. Language-wise I speak German, Tajiki Persian and basic Russian -- I would love to learn more Russian in my masters, as it is really important for Central Asian research. 

It's nice to talk to someone who is also applying! It is hard for me to gauge what the applicant pool is like and be realistic about admissions. The program sounds great though and all of the current and past students have cool backgrounds. BTW your deets sound awesome and I hope we both get admitted so I can learn more about Armenia! 

Oh and I am also applying to Sciences Po in a completely different field -- their MA in human rights and humanitarian action.

And I also didn't take the GRE -- I am living abroad and it was not realistic for me to travel a long ways just to take it, aside from the fact that it is, in my opinion, a bit of a scam and a poor measure of academic capability. Not sure how that will fare on my application, but since it is no longer required I figure it won't be too much of a hindrance. 

• 1 month later...

Hey! Any word back from the programs you applied to? I was accepted to CREEES but am on the waitlist for full tuition funding. I really want to accept, but I am not sure it will be possible with no funding whatsoever. 

Hey Carly,

Sorry for my late reply. You sound really interesting as well and I'd love to hear more about Tajikistan/Central Asia!

I also didn't take the GRE which severely limited the programs I could apply to in the US (luckily I found out about Stanford before the deadline ;)). Until now, I've only heard back from Stanford and got in as well (no funding though...). I would like to accept the offer, but am not sure if relocating to the West Coast + tuition + only one year of study is worth a degree from Stanford - as much as I love the program, opportunities and classes.

Do you know if we can benefit from funding such as the FLAS programs or others in the one-year program, as we'll have graduated that year?

I'm also applying to Sciences Po (my alma mater), but am unsure if I should do International Security or Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs at PSIA. How did you make your decision and when will you hear back? My application isn't due until March 31st.

PS: Congrats on the acceptance at Stanford! Do let me know about your decision. We might end up there together!!

I just got into the dual degree between Fletcher and the College of Europe with funding. I might decide to do that (low debt) although the Russian focus isn't as strong in that program. I'm still waiting for the decision by Oxford and the College of Europe (one-year program) until I make my final choice.

Have you heard back about funding for Stanford yet?

• 3 weeks later...

@CarlyS wow, that's amazing news! If I may ask, is it a full scholarship/stipend? Have a blast at Stanford next year (I hope we will indeed be allowed back on campus by September). 

I still haven't made a decision, but think that I will not be going to CREEES. I'm thinking about doing a European one-year fully funded program and then applying to a PhD program in Russian studies in the US. Are you planning on working afterwards, or would you also like to get a PhD?

Stay healthy amidst all of this!

It is a scholarship covering the cost of tuition (living costs will unfortunately be self-funded, but I think I have saved enough to feed and house myself in the Silicon Valley, at least I hope). Someone must have initially gotten the funding and chose to pursue another opportunity!

Given the current economic situation I think a low- or no-debt choice would be a good one in terms of getting a Masters. And to be honest while I am very excited to do the MA at CREEES it will be hard to leave the safety and stability of my life in Europe. I am not sure about whether I will try to go for a PhD afterwards or work, but I think I will try to get back to Germany afterwards.

Good luck with your decision, and keep me updated!