MIT and Berkeley Late Rec?

ck6zo

I sent my professor a reminder email on Dec 12 about the Jan 6 deadline for MIT and Berkeley when he sent in letters for my earlier apps. Then I reminded him again last Sunday, this past Friday, last night, and today. It's due tomorrow at 3pm EST for MIT and 11pm EST for Berkeley, and he still hasn't submitted the letters yet. Both schools said all application materials must be submitted on or by the deadline, does that mean they will not accept recommendations after that or will they accept it more or less? I've heard most schools accept late letters because of how often recommenders submit them late.

• 3 weeks later...

I experienced something similar. Maybe this can ease your anxiety. I got two recommendations on time from three required. The third recommender was unreliable and did not submit it by the deadline date. You can read the rest of the story from my post titled "My Recommender Failed." I just submitted the application completed in all its parts and the two references that were ready by the deadline. I found another recommender and then sent an email to admissions to let them know about my situation, and ask for an extension. They gave me a 20 days extension to submit the third because the rest of the application was complete.

Edited by Xavier27