NC State Psychology Visiting Day

mmmmcoffee

Hiya folks!

Thought I'd start this thread on the off-chance that anyone else on here will be at NCSU's psychology visiting day in February. 

I'm super excited, but I'd love to get to know some people before we get there if at all possible - maybe it'll make us all a little less nervous :)

So - how we feelin'? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 5:23 PM, starfleet_grad said:

Literally made this account to reply lol. I’m going as well. I’m excited, and a lil nervous. But I heard that reimbursement is a good sign; they already want us and we just have to not be insane. 
I’m in Human Factors. You?

Lifespan Developmental! I'm also a little nervous - I've met my POI before at a conference but that also means I have fewer questions to ask which is a little stressful lol

Well the familiarity is nice! I think either way nerves might pop up. Maybe start questions with “well I know X from our previous conversations but I’d love to hear more detail/how does this relate to Y”

Starting with something you both know may lead to more indepth convos! So far I’ve only teleconferenced with my POI; I’m afraid I was vague in terms of research interests so I’m hoping to come across more sure on next Friday! 

4 hours ago, starfleet_grad said:

Well the familiarity is nice! I think either way nerves might pop up. Maybe start questions with “well I know X from our previous conversations but I’d love to hear more detail/how does this relate to Y”

Starting with something you both know may lead to more indepth convos! So far I’ve only teleconferenced with my POI; I’m afraid I was vague in terms of research interests so I’m hoping to come across more sure on next Friday! 

What are you interested in researching? 

I will be attending their visiting day as well! (Human Factors program).  Very excited.  Assuming you guys aren't local, when do you plan to arrive?  If y'all would be interested, it would be awesome if we could meet up the night before to chat and put names to faces.  

Edited by ShepskyBB

52 minutes ago, ShepskyBB said:

I will be attending their visiting day as well! (Human Factors program, POI Dr. McLaughlin).  Very excited.  Assuming you guys aren't local, when do you plan to arrive?  If y'all would be interested, it would be awesome if we could meet up the night before to chat and put names to faces.  

I'm driving up on the 13th but was planning on getting there around 1-2pm! LifespanDev has a dinner that night but if you'd want to get coffee I'm going to be exploring the downtown area before I meet up with my host and would love to meet if you'd be there too!

10 minutes ago, mmmmcoffee said:

I'm driving up on the 13th but was planning on getting there around 1-2pm! LifespanDev has a dinner that night but if you'd want to get coffee I'm going to be exploring the downtown area before I meet up with my host and would love to meet if you'd be there too!

Awesome!  I'm driving over with my boyfriend on the 13th as well. We have a pretty long drive and a time change, so we probably won't get there until around 6pm or so (might be a little later depending on traffic).  Maybe we could do drinks after your dinner if the timing works out? I'll PM you my # and some other details so we can coordinate!  

Out of curiosity, by "host" do you mean that you're staying with someone from the program or something to that effect?  Just curious if that's an official thing some of the other psych programs are doing

10 minutes ago, ShepskyBB said:

Awesome!  I'm driving over with my boyfriend on the 13th as well. We have a pretty long drive and a time change, so we probably won't get there until around 6pm or so (might be a little later depending on traffic).  Maybe we could do drinks after your dinner if the timing works out? I'll PM you my # and some other details so we can coordinate!  

Out of curiosity, by "host" do you mean that you're staying with someone from the program or something to that effect?  Just curious if that's an official thing some of the other psych programs are doing

Yeah that's what I mean! I know not everyone is doing it but I am staying with a current student.

I'd love to get drinks after dinner if it works out! If not maybe we can figure something out after interviews on the 14th when we get the full schedule! 

15 minutes ago, mmmmcoffee said:

Yeah that's what I mean! I know not everyone is doing it but I am staying with a current student.

I'd love to get drinks after dinner if it works out! If not maybe we can figure something out after interviews on the 14th when we get the full schedule! 

Sounds like a plan!

It's cool that you're staying with a student!  Did you coordinate that yourself or is that something the department did for you?

6 minutes ago, ShepskyBB said:

Sounds like a plan!

It's cool that you're staying with a student!  Did you coordinate that yourself or is that something the department did for you?

Some of the current students coordinated it! I'm super excited about everything!

On 2/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, ShepskyBB said:

I will be attending their visiting day as well! (Human Factors program).  Very excited.  Assuming you guys aren't local, when do you plan to arrive?  If y'all would be interested, it would be awesome if we could meet up the night before to chat and put names to faces.  

I’m also Human factors! I’m flying in around 2:00 pm. I’m meeting with a current HF student but we’ll probably meet before you get there at 6. My POI gave me her info. I’ll be happy to let you know what we talk about.
I’m down to meet y’all on the 13th for drinks! It’ll be cool to see more of the city. 

@mmmmcoffee I’ll probably be studying automation! Maybe VR stuff but I don’t think that’s one of their focus areas. You? 

3 hours ago, tacobellfanaccount said:

I made an account just to respond to this! I'm also in HF, which I feel like is not often found on here. It's gonna be my first on-site interview so I'm pretty anxious but excited!

Oh nice! Yeah lots of psychology people but very few forums (or admissions results) in our lil sub field. It’s my first on site interview too but I’m excited. From the video on their site it seems like it’ll be a fun day. There’s apparently a long tour to look forward to!

On 2/8/2020 at 6:29 PM, starfleet_grad said:

I’m also Human factors! I’m flying in around 2:00 pm. I’m meeting with a current HF student but we’ll probably meet before you get there at 6. My POI gave me her info. I’ll be happy to let you know what we talk about.
I’m down to meet y’all on the 13th for drinks! It’ll be cool to see more of the city. 

@mmmmcoffee I’ll probably be studying automation! Maybe VR stuff but I don’t think that’s one of their focus areas. You? 

Awesome! I'm gonna start a GroupMe to make meetup plans easier, so if you want to be added just PM or text me your #. 

Also, have you two in HF received itineraries yet?  

15 hours ago, ShepskyBB said:

Awesome! I'm gonna start a GroupMe to make meetup plans easier, so if you want to be added just PM or text me your #. 

Also, have you two in HF received itineraries yet?  

Sweet! And nope. Hopefully we’ll get one soon!

• 3 weeks later...