Italian/Comparative Romance Studies

fmw1305

Has anybody heard back from any school for PhDs in Italian or Comparative Romance Studies? So far I have a Skype interview with UT Austin (Italian program), and Duke (Comparative Romance Studies) is funding me to go visit campus and meet with faculty (is this a good sign or should I chill out?). I still have not heard back from Brown, Notre Dame, and U Oregon. Any comments or tips are welcome! I have not seen much about Italian programs on the forum and it's not helping ?

Hello, fellow Italianist! This past Saturday (Jan. 25) I was accepted into the Italian Studies PhD at Notre Dame. I also applied to NYU and Toronto but haven't heard from either of those yet. When I applied to the PhD at Duke 2 years ago they gave me a Skype interview and then accepted me (without the campus visit). I think being funded to visit campus is a great sign! Best of luck to you---hopefully we get some more answers soon. 

Edited by A. D.

37 minutes ago, A. D. said:

Hello, fellow Italianist! This past Saturday (Jan. 25) I was accepted into the Italian Studies PhD at Notre Dame. I also applied to NYU and Toronto but haven't heard from either of those yet. When I applied to the PhD at Duke 2 years ago they gave me a Skype interview and then accepted me (without the campus visit). I think being funded to visit campus is a great sign! Best of luck to you---hopefully we get some more answers soon. 

Congrats for Notre Dame! Did you do any interview for Notre Dame or they just accepted you? I guess it is safe to say that I should not be expecting an acceptance from them if they have already started accepting applicants last week. Good luck with everything else!

7 hours ago, fmw1305 said:

Congrats for Notre Dame! Did you do any interview for Notre Dame or they just accepted you? I guess it is safe to say that I should not be expecting an acceptance from them if they have already started accepting applicants last week. Good luck with everything else!

Thank you! I did my Masters in Italian at ND, so I already knew the professors (hence no interview). It seems that several acceptances as well as rejections were sent out last Saturday, so I'm not sure what that means for you. In bocca al lupo in ogni caso!

On 1/29/2020 at 6:37 PM, A. D. said:

Thank you! I did my Masters in Italian at ND, so I already knew the professors (hence no interview). It seems that several acceptances as well as rejections were sent out last Saturday, so I'm not sure what that means for you. In bocca al lupo in ogni caso!

Awesome. Do you know if they send out rejections in waves or if they contact you if you are waitlisted? I have received 0 updates so I have no clue.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:06 PM, fmw1305 said:

Awesome. Do you know if they send out rejections in waves or if they contact you if you are waitlisted? I have received 0 updates so I have no clue.

I honestly have no idea--I think it might depend on the order in which the people who have been accepted respond to their offer. I really don't know though. Mi dispiace...

7 hours ago, CarbonaraEater said:

Ciao guys! First, congrats for your admissions and thank you Fmw1305 for starting this forum!
I am waiting updates from NYU, Brown and Berkeley. Has anyone heard anything, or have any comments or tips? I am going crazy.....!! Meantime, good luck with your results :)

Still nothing from Brown, it seems like they are taking their sweet time..

On 2/10/2020 at 5:33 AM, CarbonaraEater said:

Ciao guys! First, congrats for your admissions and thank you Fmw1305 for starting this forum!
I am waiting updates from NYU, Brown and Berkeley. Has anyone heard anything, or have any comments or tips? I am going crazy.....!! Meantime, good luck with your results :) 

I'm sorry about Brown. :-( A colleague of mine heard back from Berkeley about a week ago. I'm still waiting on NYU as well...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 5:42 AM, CarbonaraEater said:

Yes, me too! Still waiting. Do you guys have any updates from NYU? 

Still nothing from NYU. I'm guessing they'll wait until after March 1 at this point. 

On 2/24/2020 at 5:42 AM, CarbonaraEater said:

Yes, me too! Still waiting. Do you guys have any updates from NYU? 

Update: NYU has already made its first round of offers. Just found out that an acquaintance of mine got her offer recently. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 12:09 PM, Berlinguerbro said:

Anyone heard back from Italian/Romance Studies programs yet for 2021? I've had an interview with NYU, and still waiting to hear back from other apps (I was rejected from UC Berkeley for an app in Comp Lit)

Had an interview with Harvard yesterday and received an interview request early last week from Stanford. Still waiting on Yale.