What does a GTA background check entail of?

I received an offer letter that said "you have been awarded a graduate teaching assistantship ... pending an acceptable background check," and I would like to ask what that would entail of, particularly for an international student if the case is different for non-American students. Would a background check be checking of criminal and disciplinary records, as well as employment fact-checking?

Thank you!

First off, congrats on your acceptance!

Only speaking from my personal experience as an international student in the US. Immediately after undergrad (in the US), I was offered a temporary teaching job which required a background check (I think this is simply part of the process for teaching jobs). The employer simply sent me a form email with a link to their background check provider, in which I filled in my name and a few other information (can't recall exactly) and a few weeks later they sent me a paper copy of my "background check" which was a few pages long and didn't contain any notable information because I had no criminal record or any record really... I didn't really know anything throughout that process at all, and I was an international student for 4 years in the US at that point. Yes, the background check checks for criminal and disciplinary records. 

I have no idea how that would work if you have not lived in the US. Probably something to check with the department/admissions about. 

18 hours ago, coffeelyf said:

First off, congrats on your acceptance!

Only speaking from my personal experience as an international student in the US. Immediately after undergrad (in the US), I was offered a temporary teaching job which required a background check (I think this is simply part of the process for teaching jobs). The employer simply sent me a form email with a link to their background check provider, in which I filled in my name and a few other information (can't recall exactly) and a few weeks later they sent me a paper copy of my "background check" which was a few pages long and didn't contain any notable information because I had no criminal record or any record really... I didn't really know anything throughout that process at all, and I was an international student for 4 years in the US at that point. Yes, the background check checks for criminal and disciplinary records. 

I have no idea how that would work if you have not lived in the US. Probably something to check with the department/admissions about. 

Thank you so much for your helpful response, especially given we're in the same situation! I don't have any criminal or even any record, so there should be almost nothing to worry about, I'm guessing?

Again, thank you! :)

59 minutes ago, chickenist said:

Thank you so much for your helpful response, especially given we're in the same situation! I don't have any criminal or even any record, so there should be almost nothing to worry about, I'm guessing?

Again, thank you! :)

Yep, I don't think it will be a problem for you. Good luck! :)