UW vs Columbia for MS

galois

Wondering if anyone can compare these two programs. I think UW's MS probably doesn't get much attention since its actually a Professional Masters Program (PMP) and only available to local candidates. It's one of those "not a road to the PhD" programs.

I'm here in Seattle now after joining a PhD program at another department at UW, but second guessing that decision, and considering bailing and just doing a masters in CS. UW's program is pretty flexible in that you can probably do it remotely without much trouble. Columbia offers their MS through the virtual CVN as a distance program which is also convenient.

Aside from price & time to graduate, does anyone have experience with classes from either program, and the actual quality of education? I worry that the PMP (which does not really have pre-reqs per class) will be too cushy. And I just have no idea what to think of the Columbia program as it's hard to find individual accounts of people who've done it.

It is very hard to tell without knowing your goal from getting masters. Professional masters usually emphasize technical training and in-demand skills in the industry while master science is more theoretically-oriented.