SIPA vs. The New School

Aliciab17

I know this might sound crazy but I'm trying to decide between The New School (MA in Intl. Affairs) and SIPA. (actually SIPA would be the dual degree program with the Hertie school in Berlin) The New School is not as well known but I received a scholarship there, they have a pretty strong faculty, are very progressive, and have a strong program for intl development. But SIPA is SIPA. Can anyone give me more pros to SIPA that don't surround the name/reputation? Do you think that really matters that much?

I had the same decision to make three years ago. I will be graduating from GPIA in May with my MA. If it makes the decision any easier, GPIA was great for me. The faculty is amazing. The small size allows you to get close to several professors. With GPIA merging with Milano, even more classes and resources will be offered. Some say that GPIA doesn't train people for the "real world." But the Practicum at the end of the program does just that and many people have gotten jobs out from their practicum. I spent the summer in Ethiopia through their international field programs. It was an experience I will never forget.

I will be starting ASU in the fall for their Political Science Ph.D. program.

It doesn't have the name though. (I got a lot of ? when I said I went to the New School... "No, it's not new.") But the faculty has a lot of ties into the UN and NGOs in New York. At the new school, talk to Sakiko or Cohen the director. They are very approachable. I have no regrets. But you should try and visit both if you have time.

• 11 months later...

I had the same decision to make three years ago. I will be graduating from GPIA in May with my MA. If it makes the decision any easier, GPIA was great for me. The faculty is amazing. The small size allows you to get close to several professors. With GPIA merging with Milano, even more classes and resources will be offered. Some say that GPIA doesn't train people for the "real world." But the Practicum at the end of the program does just that and many people have gotten jobs out from their practicum. I spent the summer in Ethiopia through their international field programs. It was an experience I will never forget.

I will be starting ASU in the fall for their Political Science Ph.D. program.

It doesn't have the name though. (I got a lot of ? when I said I went to the New School... "No, it's not new.") But the faculty has a lot of ties into the UN and NGOs in New York. At the new school, talk to Sakiko or Cohen the director. They are very approachable. I have no regrets. But you should try and visit both if you have time.

Molfe, can you say a little more about what kind of experience you had going into the New School? The only other person I know who's graduated from this program was a professional who didn't feel like her experience there added much to what she already knew. What's your impression of the level of work experience of the student body? Basically, having been in a related field for 7 years, I don't want to end up with a lot of people who are straight out of undergrad! Was that the case when you were there?

Also, can you tell me more about where you feel like the degree has gotten you professionally?

Thanks so much!