SLP GRAD SCHOOL PLEASE HELP

gabriella101

Question

Hello everyone! I am currently a junior year student at Quinnipiac University with a major of Health Science Studies and my school doesn’t have a speech undergrad major either. I found a school to take pre reqs at: ENMU but when picking out pre reqs I need for admission to grad school each school I want to apply for wants something different: some want neurological bases and others want aural rehabilitation while others want speech and hearing science. I therefore don’t know what pre reqs to take and don’t want to waste time or money on classes that I don’t need. I was also considering doing a 3 years masters but a lot of schools do leveling programs but that doesn’t give you automatic admission into masters so I’m just confused on what to do. I wanted to go to masters in Florida or New Jersey or New York but I’m nervous I won’t get in! I don’t know what to do or where to look and am desperate for anyone’s advice!

2 answers to this question

Hi! I was in the same boat a few years ago. I took a few pre reqs required for 4 schools (all required the same prereqs, except 1 that required 1 less course) , however I got rejected my first application round. While I was waiting for my second application round I took additional courses required to apply to more programs. My advice is, take all of the classes. Even though it is extra money and time, you need to understand that these programs are highly competitive and it is best to apply to as many as possible. Especially if you want to attend school in FL, NY, or NJ. I attend a program in NY where so many people apply. The common prereq courses usually required are aural rehab, language dvlpt, phonetics, anatomy (neuro), speech sci. I also recommend you make sure that you complete the required ASHA courses (psych, stats, physics/chem, bio) if your undergrad program didn't have them. So many people in the program are stressing to complete those courses now and it's best to have them done before you begin the graduate program.