Stanford (no funding) vs. Northwestern (full funding) for EE

jjpp

Hi, All,

I would like to seek for your advice on this tough decision making.

I am majoring Electrical Engineering in Communications track. I am now facing a decision between Stanford and Northwestern:

1)Stanford: Ms/PhD, no funding yet

Definitely, Stanford is very prestigious and the dream school. However, Most likely I have to take loans to support myself for the first year. If I am not able to pass the Quals or find a prof to support me, I would graduate with a Master degree with about $70,000 in debt. Is it easy to find a job and get out of this debt in one or two years?

2)Northwestern: PhD, full funding

Does anyone know the reputation of Northwestern in Communications track? There are only one prof, one A/P, one assistant prof doing research in my area. And It's a PhD.

Currently, I am not sure whether I want to go to industry or academia after graduation. If I go to industry, does the reputation of the school matters a lot? Also, with a master from Stanford, is it easy to get a PhD from other schools like MIT?

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

Thank you very much!

IMO it's not even close. Go with the funding. Jobs in industry tend to be a lot more about who your advisor knows, so try and do some research to see where people who graduated from North Western are now but funding vs no funding? I can't imagine going anywhere without funding.

I'm in a similar position. I've already accepted a great offer from Cornell, but I got an admit to Stanford off the waitlist 16th evening (PST). I called yesterday and they said there were no more funds to give away :( Stanford's is easily a better program by far, and in my area of research, significantly ahead of Cornell. More so, there are many many more professors working in this area, as against 2/3 at Cornell. I'm still considering this offer, as I've been told by many friends who went there last year, as well as those from my school who have gone there over the last few years that getting an RAship hasn't been a big problem normally.

I'm in a similar position. I've already accepted a great offer from Cornell, but I got an admit to Stanford off the waitlist 16th evening (PST). I called yesterday and they said there were no more funds to give away :( Stanford's is easily a better program by far, and in my area of research, significantly ahead of Cornell. More so, there are many many more professors working in this area, as against 2/3 at Cornell. I'm still considering this offer, as I've been told by many friends who went there last year, as well as those from my school who have gone there over the last few years that getting an RAship hasn't been a big problem normally.

Hi, I have decided to accept the admission from Stanford. I think it's worth the risk and investment^^. Which area are you working in? I am in communications track.

Hi, I have decided to accept the admission from Stanford. I think it's worth the risk and investment^^. Which area are you working in? I am in communications track.

That's precisely the reason why I'm still considering it. The benefits are far to significant to dismiss the offer casually. However, arranging for funds is a little difficult, and the Cornell offer is really nice. In addition, there's the issue of seeking a release from Cornell...hence the dilemma.

BTW...I work in photonics/optoelectronics. And a big congratulations on your decision!! It's a relief finally knowing where one is headed!