MS in Chemical Engg. : Univ of Maryland vs ETH Zurich

deepmetal

Dear friends,

I have been accepted in University of Maryland, College Park and ETH Zurich for Masters in Chemical Engineering. I had been accepted in SUNY Buffalo, Univ of Houston ( for PhD ) and Illinois Institute of Technology and TU Delft as well. But the best admits from the two different continents are the two mentioned in the topic.

Cost for two years in both the universities will be same. As I will be going on educational loan the main factor behind my decision is the quality of education and job prospects post MS. I dont know if I would go for PhD right after my MS, but I am sure that someday I am gonna enroll in it. So I would love to do top quality research during my stay for two years. I have dabbled in two three areas of research and havent been able to decide on my research area. Thats the main reason I applied for MS in the first place.

As far as I know, University of Maryland is a very good institution, but its US News Departmental ranking is just average !!! I wonder why it is so. Otherwise its a very good university with a superb and expensive location. I dont know about chances of getting RA/TA after a sem or two. But they have said me via mail that they do not fund Masters students. Moreover when I looked in the profiles of faculty members then I saw that most are active in nanotechnology and bio related stuff only. I have worked for almost four years in a refinery. So I wonder if my job exp would be worth anything if I do research in these sth like nanotechnology during my Maters. Can you tell me how reputed is the Chemical Engg Deptt. of University of Maryland in USA ? Maybe a comparison with Chemical Engg Deptts. of other universities would give me a rough idea.

Now. ETH Zurich is a world class institution with the Chemical Engineering Deptt. having an all round research focus. The only cost involved is the living cost of Zurich !!! But I dont know about post Masters job prospects for non European-Union students. I will really need a job to pay off my loan and also to save some for my PhD time as I will have to support my parents during that period of four years or so. I cannot do so by working in my home country for sure.

SO guys, can tell give me your valuable advice please. What do you have to say on this ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey deep

I am also facing a similar situation. I have got an admit in Georgia Tech and TU Delft , but not sure about the job scene in Netherlands. I do have to fund my own education in Delft but the cost is not that high (20 lac Rs for two years including living expenses). Let me know if you get some idea about how it works after graduation in the EU. Thanks!

Hey deep

I am also facing a similar situation. I have got an admit in Georgia Tech and TU Delft , but not sure about the job scene in Netherlands. I do have to fund my own education in Delft but the cost is not that high (20 lac Rs for two years including living expenses). Let me know if you get some idea about how it works after graduation in the EU. Thanks!

Have you got the result of faculty scholarship ? If I were you I would go to GaTech. Its far bigger a brand name to be ignored. I guess getting a job would be easier in USA than in European Union.

Have you got the result of faculty scholarship ? If I were you I would go to GaTech. Its far bigger a brand name to be ignored. I guess getting a job would be easier in USA than in European Union.

not yet , but i m keeping my fingers crossed.. i would like to go to gatech too, but what about the 120,000 !!! i have tried contacting profs for assistantships, but none seem too interested .. there is no way i can afford a six figure loan .. tu delft seems like the only viable option now ..